Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 114.83090%

1960's? Pearl Kit

So I bought 80% of a drum kit today, looking to get something cheap after moving cities and I ended up with a pretty cool old Pearl kit. Based on the badge I gather it's from the 1960's, but I would love it if anyone could tell me more about it. The shell is what sold me on it, it's like a holographic honeycomb pattern. Perused some of the old catalogues on here and I can't find a match..

I'll also be doing a bit of research, but would welcome any advice on how to fix up this kit. There's a bit of cracking in the shell around where some of the hardware is mounted, and it's pretty scratched up and filthy, I want to clean it and treat everything to prevent further damage. Should I use car wax on it?

Another question: the wood inside is chipped in places from a rough life, smells slightly musty, is there any treatment people recommend?

I also need to rig up some legs for the bass drum, those are missing.

Seems like a lot of work, but I'm excited about the project.

Posted on 6 years ago

Nice wrap. Peter Criss (who also endorsed Pearl) had a similar wrap on one of his touring kits back in the 70's, and i believe it was for the Rock n Roll Over tour from 1976. When i restored my Ludwig Big Beat Black Cortex, i used Carnauba wax on the wrap, on the advice of fellow forum member and drum restoration expert, CTV Michael. Works great and makes the drums shiny like new. I use, and have always used, a wood treatment spray for interiors of any vintage drum shell, (unless already factory lacquered), which is used to treat fine, expensive vintage or modern furniture. Makes the shells smell nice as well as protecting the finish. You're also going to have to remove and take apart all metal parts such as lugs, inserts, springs, screws, nuts and bolts, and then bathe them in half mineral water and white vinegar to remove surface rust, dirt and grime to make them looking and working like new. For the hoops, if just dirty and grimy, i just use good old dish soap or CLR all surface cleaner and warm /hot water. When i had my vintage Pearl President kit from 1970, i lightly sanded the interiors with 220 grit paper, just to smooth the shells and any splinters, surface cracks, or imperfections. Follow these steps and your kit will come out looking like new ! Yes Sir

Plus i'm sure there'll be more members chiming in with some great advice as well !

cheers,

Rob

Posted on 6 years ago

Thanks for the reply human71. I've got a good start on removing hardware and cleaning the bass drum, using slightly soapy water and a carnauba/car wax. It looks pretty cool! There is quite a bit of rust on the hoop, and more on the snare drum hoop, was thinking of using 00 steel wool and then NEVR-DULL which I already have to clean it up and protect it a bit.

I took a closer look at the wrap, and I'm thinking it was added later by a previous owner. Maybe this isn't surprising to anyone who knows vintage drums.. The wrap on the bass drum is in two pieces and doesn't meet up flush in one corner, I find it hard to believe it'd come out of the factory this way. I've attached photos if anyone can comment.

2 attachments
Posted on 6 years ago

Don`t use steel wool for the hoops...Try vinegar and wadded aluminum foil for the heavy rust...Once you are happy with results, follow up with NeverDull...

I would use Tung oil on the insides of the shells...It will moisturize the wood and should take care of the smell...

Cheers

1976 Ludwig Mach 4 Thermogloss 26-18-14-14sn
1978 Ludwig Stainless 22-22-18-16-14-13-12 c/w 6-8-10-12-13-14-15-16-18-20-22-24 concert toms
1975 Sonor Phonic Centennials Metallic Pewter 22-16-13-12-14sn (D506)
1971 Ludwig Classic Bowling Ball OBP 22-16-14-13
1960's Stewart Peacock Pearl 20-16-12-14sn
1980`s Ludwig Coliseum Piano Black 8x14 snare
1973 Rogers Superten 5x14 & 6.5x14 COS snares
1970`s John Grey Capri Aquamarine Sparkle 5x14 snare
1941 Ludwig & Ludwig Super 8x14 snare
Posted on 6 years ago

Thanks grantro for the advice. Will try to find a non-abrasive way to remove the rust.

This is turning into a bit of a repair thread but I'm still very interested in any other info folks might have on the kit.. I tackled the snare and toms yesterday and ended up with a reasonably playable kit, but I don't like the way the bass drum especially sounds with no resonant head, so I'm looking for a hoop and tension rods.

The snare drum switch wouldn't move so I took it apart, greased everything, put it back together and it is better. I noticed there's some numbers etched into the metal, my best guess is 1083??73.. Is it possible this means the kit is from '73?

PS the sweet workshop setup isn't mine, just sneaking the project into my workplace after hours.. Luckily there's also a selection of metric bolts I can use until I find ones that suit the era better!

Posted on 6 years ago

From Merlin

Thanks for the reply human71. I've got a good start on removing hardware and cleaning the bass drum, using slightly soapy water and a carnauba/car wax. It looks pretty cool! There is quite a bit of rust on the hoop, and more on the snare drum hoop, was thinking of using 00 steel wool and then NEVR-DULL which I already have to clean it up and protect it a bit.I took a closer look at the wrap, and I'm thinking it was added later by a previous owner. Maybe this isn't surprising to anyone who knows vintage drums.. The wrap on the bass drum is in two pieces and doesn't meet up flush in one corner, I find it hard to believe it'd come out of the factory this way. I've attached photos if anyone can comment.

Yeah, it does seem that the wrap is not original. but it still looks cool. If the two piece seam is not visible and underneath the bass drum, you're golden, as it won't be too unsightly to those viewing the drum from the front. But even if it is visible, it's ok. The kit is beginning to look newer each time you work on it. Keep up the good work and be sure to show us pics of the finished project !

cheers,

Rob

Posted on 6 years ago
Action Another action Something else here