Old 02-02-2014, 08:08 AM

Default Re: Is this a 1970's Ludwig?
Okay as promised here is a bunch of photos. Its dirty and rusty as hell but some elbow grease will fix that. All the lugs are present which is good, are they all supposed to be the same length? Some are about 2mm longer?

Then the rack toms seem to be from the same set judging from the inside of the drums, but they are covered with what looks to be couch vinyl. I think the badges have been removed long ago along with the original wrap.

Then a little bit of heartache, huge hole in the kick drum shell where the one spur should be.

Floor tom looks good, needs new legs.
Kick drum tom mount needs a lug to tighten the arm, got the arms but didn't take a photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Old 02-02-2014, 08:11 AM

more photos
Attached Thumbnails
Old 02-02-2014, 08:14 AM

even more photos
Attached Thumbnails
Old 02-02-2014, 08:26 AM
Contributing Member

I thought that the pointy badges ended in 1980-ish? First i heard they went to 82'

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenstat View Post
Those blue olive badges are called the "pointy" ones. They span Dec 1969 to 1982ish. There are smaller year subdivisions but we would need the serial numbers to make that call.

The two smaller diameter toms are shown such that the badges face away from the camera. It would be good to know about those also.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:31 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Those are definitely 3-ply drums. Good luck with the restoration.

Blaemire / Jenkins-Martin drums.

http://www.jenkinsmartindrums.com/
Old 02-02-2014, 08:38 AM

Please please please! Can someone give me link to see some ideas to fix that kickdrum shell
Old 02-02-2014, 11:44 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Looks like you have a mish mash there,and with Ludwig there are always exceptions as far as manufacturing goes.

The Bass and floor interiors have been painted black aftermarket probably.If the lugs on the floor tom are mini classiscs that is a pretty rare bird IMO

Pics would be helpful, On the other two toms,one looks like standard classic lugs,the one that has a non Ludwig stick saver rim, could be 3 ply 4 ply or 6 ply, could be Standard S/L early rocker or super classic,on the other tom depending on manufacturing clues, if those are mini classic lugs, could be Ludwig standards, from 1983/1984 Ludwig S/L 1984 ish Early Ludwig Rockers 1985? 1987 or super classic or classic, Ludwig used mini classic lugs on all toms on the 1983 standards,S/L and early rockers,and used mini classic lugs on 8" 10" and sometimes 12" inch double sided toms,and one sided concert toms,hard to tell what you have there considering the possible modifications.

As far as the BD repair goes I am no expert,but I seem to remember people using a "donor" matching diameter BD shell and or a curved piece of wood that will lay flat and flush in the inside of the shell to reinforce it,and/or use another pice to fill the hole that is already there,depends on how pretty you want it to be.
Old 02-02-2014, 12:34 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artofdutch View Post
Please please please! Can someone give me link to see some ideas to fix that kickdrum shell
This help?
http://www.drumforum.org/index.php?/...ng-a-big-hole/
Old 02-02-2014, 01:11 PM

Site doesn't allow me to register

Tags
ludwig