Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 114.83090%

West Percussion re-creation. Info wanted!

I'm currently in the process of re-creating my first drum kit, a 1985 West Percussion 5-piece in black. 22x14, 12x7, 13x8, 16x16, and 14x6 snare.

Any information anyone has on West Percussion would be amazing!

Here's what I already know. Pearl made West Percussion. Every West Percussion kit I've found photos of online over the years has had Pearl-styled tom mounts with separate poles for each tom, which I hate. However, my kit had Tama-style tom mounts, and what I mean by that is that the tom mounts and hardware were all identical to Tama Imperial Star drums from the 80s. I also know West was re-branded to Maxwin in 1986. I'm recreating and re-branding mine back to West from a Maxwin kit.

Due to the different hardware, i.e., tom mounts, spurs, etc., I currently have the shells stripped with wood filler drying in the old hardware holes. I've already acquired all of the matching hardware to my old kit, so I will be re-drilling the shells to match possibly today. New drum wrap is ordered, and I will have to re-create the badges, probably with a laser engraver. The only thing I have left of my original kit is one bass drum hoop, one Floor Tom lug/hardware piece, and all of the tom rims. The original pieces left are being incorporated into the kit, of course!

I already know how crappy they are and that it's costing more to re-create these than to buy a nice new kit lol. about a grand when all is said and done. I have plenty of drum kits, this is just a passion project.

I'm also watching for Vader cymbals (made by Paiste) which are very hard to find. It looks like Camber is the rebrand. Any help on that will be great as well!

I'll upload some photos!

Posted on 1 year ago

Here are some photos of the real kit and the Maxwins I am using to re-create them.

Posted on 1 year ago

Progress..the 12" Tom is complete. Recreating the badges was the toughest part but now I have a perfect system ????

Posted on 1 year ago
Action Another action Something else here