Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Non-USA drums

Old 07-10-2015, 09:06 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Sonor thread

If I were to change the tune safe screws on my Phonic toms to regular screws, what would work that I can purchase from good drum shops?...They don't have to be slotted.

Or, will these lugs accept ONLY tune safe screws, and nothing else?.I know the Germans love to mix it up a little....lol

Last edited by wayne; 07-10-2015 at 10:10 AM.
Old 07-10-2015, 10:16 AM

Default Re: Sonor thread

Vintage Sonor tension rods are 1/4"-20.

I need to ask are you wanting to ditch the flat sided screws? The only thing that will work is the sonor slotted. You could replace the insert but then you are looking at more money. On all my phonics I kept the screws and just removed the little clip from the lug insert. I have about 13 rosewood phonics and most of them have them.

If you are looking for new then the best place is at that ebay user samiam(not related to him at all, but have bought many hardware pieces such as tension rods...). He has a few different lengths in stock. I'm guessing yours is about 46mm long.

Other sonor dealers can get you stuff too, in fact one of the best is in Germany-ST drums. Very knowledgeable about sonor. They also have a fair amount of vintage stuff. I just bought some things last month from him, shipping is the only downfall... When ordering it must be specified 1/4-20 because the modern sonor is 12-24 just like other drum companies.

Good luck, Gary.

Gary
Old 07-10-2015, 02:25 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

..........Why ?

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Old 07-10-2015, 02:38 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

I wouldn,t call him a tech, but he does tweak my kit before a show, and I know these tune safe screws will make him short circuit. He does a great job on sound and he does a great job with my kits, but he,s never worked with the Phonics...so, I,ll consider regular screws,for his sake.
Old 07-10-2015, 05:13 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

The thread count is the tuning rate. Doesn`t matter how fast you turn them they squeeze at the thread count rate.

SONOR abandoned the slotted screws in the 90`s and as far as I know, they have not altered the tuning rate. You should be able to get hex screws from SONOR without the flat on them.

High thread count will fine tune easier than lower thread counts.

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Old 07-10-2015, 05:43 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gSonor View Post
Vintage Sonor tension rods are 1/4"-20... one of the best is in Germany-ST drums. Very knowledgeable about sonor. They also have a fair amount of vintage stuff.
Agree. I'm also voting for Mr.Steger.

Cheers,
George.
Old 07-10-2015, 06:58 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Another twist...My friend sent me slotted rods from a teardrop kit in hopes it would be the ticket...no luck...Those wacky Germans!!
Old 07-11-2015, 11:17 AM

Any way to post pics of what you currently have and the teardrop? I also have teardrops and those are interchangeable with my phonics all are 1/4-20.

If its the feel of the tuning that is in question removing the little clip on the lug insert will solve the problem. That is exactly why I removed them from my kit. No need to change anything else. I tune a little on the higher side so I don't really have a big problem with my lugs de-tuning but if you like a lower tuning then the clips will help.

Gary
Old 07-11-2015, 12:05 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Gary...thx for that info, its very helpful. I thought there would be more to it than just removing the clips, which I assume can be put back w/o a problem?....thx again
Old 07-12-2015, 08:15 AM

Yep easy to re-install. I use a large flat screwdriver and gently pry one end up. I also cover that spot with a towel so I don't damage the chrome finish on the lug. I'ts kind of awkward but they come off pretty easily. I've removed quite a few of them with no problems.

On another note if they seem to not grab(the t-rod) very well, before re-installing them you can bend the open end a little and they will be tighter against the screw again. It's a pretty good system but it's just not for me.

Here's another trick if you have a problem with detuning on phonics, replace the internal spring with a piece of plastic tubing cut long enough to hold the insert in place. The screw will thread into the tubing and grab it a bit enough to keep it from backing itself out. Plus you have no more rattle from the spring.

Gary