Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Restoring Vintage Drums

Old 06-27-2015, 07:32 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Serious Ply Separation

I did a repair to badly bubbled Slingerland interior ply recently.. There was no crack so no way to get the glue in. Rather than drill holes I cut through the bubbles across the grain and then made several cuts from that first cut back along and with the grain using a Stanley knife. This enabled me to gently peel back the individual cuts and pump in lots of wood glue without any special syringe or applicator.
I then clamped back to shape and let it set for a few days. I later dribbled a good dose of "Super Glue" in and around each of the cuts I'd made, before using wood filler and fine sanding to level the surface.
At this point I have used a paint primer on the complete interior but am still looking for that chocolate milk colour match.

Cheers
John

Last edited by longjohn; 06-28-2015 at 05:48 PM.
Old 06-27-2015, 07:47 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Go to your local tractor supply store and get a large animal syringe(sp). That will work. I've ised them for wood glue with no problems. Also don't forget to use wax paper between your shell and shell piece so you don't end up with a piece of shell glued to your good shell.

Curtis
Old 06-27-2015, 10:29 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

You can also use an air compressor with a small adjustable flow tip to force the glue deep into the void. Good for getting as much dirt out before glue stage as well.

Need to get back to this project. Keep buying more drums instead of fixing the ones I have...

http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=35520

Creighton