Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > General Drum Questions

Old 07-10-2021, 05:42 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Best Head for Brushes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robyn64 View Post
a head full of long hair is best for brushes, as long as it is dry. my mom, a beautician of 30+ yrs, always said not to use a brush on a wet head, it will damage the hair. lol.
Jeez, Robyn, that is good advice! Since I am definitely looking a bit ragged these days, I will definitely keep your wise words in mind! I have a practice tonight and am going to try out your technique. It will give the definition of "head banger" a whole new meaning! Take care, amiga!
Brian
Old 07-21-2021, 11:28 PM
Advanced Member

I've switched to Remo Renaissance for snare batter heads - because they are outstanding for brushes!
Old 07-22-2021, 06:08 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardbat View Post
I've switched to Remo Renaissance for snare batter heads - because they are outstanding for brushes!
Thanks, hardbat. I've never tried these heads before, but I'll definitely look into it. I'm now using a Remo Coated Ambassador.
Brian
Old 08-13-2021, 03:03 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

I've used a ton of different heads for brushes. The Ambassador, once you smooth it out -- live through the scratch -- has always been my go to. That's followed by the Dip weight Fibreskyn. Recently I bought a couple of sets of kangaroo skin snare drum heads from Kentville Drums. I haven't worked with such nice heads for brushes. Also fun with sticks.
Old 08-14-2021, 11:36 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick View Post
I've used a ton of different heads for brushes. The Ambassador, once you smooth it out -- live through the scratch -- has always been my go to. That's followed by the Dip weight Fibreskyn. Recently I bought a couple of sets of kangaroo skin snare drum heads from Kentville Drums. I haven't worked with such nice heads for brushes. Also fun with sticks.
Kangaroo skins! Up here, in The Great White North, those varmints are non-existent, Patrick! I wonder if they work as well as Polar Bear skin. That's the preferred choice of head up here. Thanks for the input though!
Brian
Old 08-24-2021, 12:55 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Hi Brian I'm here in Halifax, Nova Scotia, not that far from you. I bought two sets of kangaroo skin heads; one set to fit a pre-international John Grey Ambassador snare, and the other set to fit standard sized snares. Just reporting that the Kentville heads are really fun to play brushes.
Old 08-24-2021, 01:35 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick View Post
Hi Brian I'm here in Halifax, Nova Scotia, not that far from you. I bought two sets of kangaroo skin heads; one set to fit a pre-international John Grey Ambassador snare, and the other set to fit standard sized snares. Just reporting that the Kentville heads are really fun to play brushes.
LOL! I just assumed you were in Australia! I will definitely look into this option now. I appreciate your input. Might even buy some Fosters to toast you,Patrick! Just kidding!
Brian

Last edited by salty 1322; 08-24-2021 at 01:37 PM. Reason: needed a comma
Old 08-24-2021, 02:15 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Yes, I would agree that real calfskin or some type of animal skin would be an awesome choice for brushes. They are...butter!

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Old 08-24-2021, 07:15 PM

This girl Diane she was in my art class sop****re year! she was passing out paint brushes to the class and we hit it off! One thing led to another and WOWZA!!!!
Old 09-19-2021, 12:54 PM
Contributing Member

Many years ago Ludwig marketed a rough coat spray to re-coat drum heads which they eventually discontinued, but I am not aware of the availability of such a product now.

I was just in my basement looking for some paint and ran across a spray can of
Rust-OLeum's Frosted glass arousol spray coating used to provide a semi-transparent coating for privacy such as in bathrooms. If sprayed on in multiple coats it builds up and may provide a rough surface for brushes. I sprayed it on a glass panel on my basement door window to test the idea. Moments after spraying it did have a rough feel to it. I will wait a while and re-spray and check again. I'll find an old drum head later and test on the mylar surface.