Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.66806%

Zyn cymbals with eyelets.....

I have a pair of 14"Zyn high hat cymbals . Both have metal eyelets to prevent keyholing attached to the cymbals.Does anyone know about these?By the way they sound great!!!

Posted on 12 years ago

I usually associate grommets on cymbal mounting holes w/ pairs of marching cymbals. Hi hats don't usually develop keyholes. (players also use grommets on cymbals that have developed small cracks around the hole). ...And , like you suggested, they could have been attached as a strengthening measure.

Posted on 12 years ago

This is a strange coincident. Yesterday, when I removed the clutch from an old 14" Zyn Hi hat cymbal, something fell to the floor. It turned out to be a broken grommet (or eyelet,-not sure what the correct word is). It seems a bit odd that someone should have put protective grommets on both yours and mine cymbals. More likely, this was done from the factory. As for marching cymbals, it is possible, but this also seems a bit strange. -Both yours and mine, same brand.......Hmmmm. I noticed that the center hole in the cymbal is a little larger than normal, 14mm instead of normally 12mm. With the grommet in place it brings the hole down to normal size. To me this also indicates that it was factory made.

/Johan M

2 attachments
70's Slingerland, 13,14,18,24" Copper wrap
70's Pearl Wood/fiberglass 12,13,13,14,16,18,22,24" Red
70's Pearl Fiberglass shells 12,13,16, 22" White
70's Hayman, 13,14,16,22" Black
60's Hoshino, 13,16,20" WMP
2009 Ludwig element, 10,12,13,16,22" Orange
Posted on 12 years ago

Any Zyn hi-hats ,I have been around( about 10 or 12 pair) have been quite light----less than 600gm. for 14"ers and some 13's under 500gm. This is true for Kruts too. I have come across a few which were more than that and they all had Grommets. I'm pretty sure that if your cymbal(s) are grommeted and in the over 600gm. weight range , then they are marching cymbals.

I also have a couple of pairs of Super Zyns and they are all over 600gm. but I once bought a pair on ebay ,which were grommetted and they were so heavy ,the top cymbal depressed most pedal springs, that I tried them on.

The spun brass Zyns ,though, are much lighter in all types of cymbals than most cast bronze cymbals.

Posted on 12 years ago

I have an old pair of 15" Avedis field cymbals I got cheap years ago that I use as hats occasionally. These have grommets on the center holes. Whenever I see the grommets I assume them to be field (marching) cymbals.

They were so warn together they would stick often (top would pull the bottom off the stand) so I drilled a pair of 1/4 inch holes in the bell and solved that problem...

They sound great as (very heavy) hats; however they have no other drum set use. Very 'gongy' sounding.

When you run into them at garage sales etc. don't pass them by!

Cobalt Blue Yamaha Recording Custom 20b-22b-8-10-12-13-15-16f-18f
Red Ripple '70's Yamaha D-20 20b-12-14f
Piano Black Yamaha Recording Custom Be-Bop kit 18b-10-14f
Snares:
Yamaha COS SDM5; Yamaha Cobalt Blue RC 5-1/2x14; Gretsch round badge WMP; 1972 Ludwig Acrolite; 1978 Ludwig Super Sensitive; Cobalt Blue one-off Montineri; Yamaha Musashi 6.5X13 Oak; cheap 3.5X13 brass piccolo
Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here