Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 133.06889%

Zim-Gar Root Beer Pearl? WTB matching drum or two

A year and a half ago I pulled these out of storage and restored them for my 9 year old son who who had just started taking lessons.

They were my grandfather's. They sound excellent now and my son loves playing them.

I would like to get a couple more that match (a Tom and a Snare?), even if they need to be restored. The current snare does not match this set, it would be cool to get one that matches.

If anyone has any matching ones for sale, please let me know.

Also, can anyone educate me on what color these are, etc...

Thanks,

-Todd

[img]https://s19.postimg.org/6i1dq6u7j/Full_Size_Render3.jpg[/img]

[img]https://s19.postimg.org/549quvuy7/Full_Size_Render4.jpg[/img]

Posted on 7 years ago

Hello MBGI... and Welcome to the forum!

A very cool MIJ kit! The most unusual lugs and color I've seen! The lugs look like a cross between Ludwig Classic and Slingerland. As to the wrap, I'm not sure I'd call this Root Beer Pearl. Not quite sure what it is called, as I've NEVER seen this color before! It may be very difficult to find other drums, regardless of brand, to match. Let's see what others have to say on this.

Enjoy them!

-Mark

Posted on 7 years ago

I agree with Mark...Very cool wrap indeed!! Patience will be key in looking for a matching snare and tom...Good luck on your quest though!!

I see the shells have re-rings which would date them pre 1968...

Cheers

1976 Ludwig Mach 4 Thermogloss 26-18-14-14sn
1978 Ludwig Stainless 22-22-18-16-14-13-12 c/w 6-8-10-12-13-14-15-16-18-20-22-24 concert toms
1975 Sonor Phonic Centennials Metallic Pewter 22-16-13-12-14sn (D506)
1971 Ludwig Classic Bowling Ball OBP 22-16-14-13
1960's Stewart Peacock Pearl 20-16-12-14sn
1980`s Ludwig Coliseum Piano Black 8x14 snare
1973 Rogers Superten 5x14 & 6.5x14 COS snares
1970`s John Grey Capri Aquamarine Sparkle 5x14 snare
1941 Ludwig & Ludwig Super 8x14 snare
Posted on 7 years ago

Thank you. I'd love to hear any other input.

Posted on 7 years ago

Anyone else have any information on these drums?

Thanks.

Posted on 7 years ago

Hello MBGI

That particular style Zim Gar kit is very seldom seen compared with most of the Zim Gar stuff

It is definitely a deluxe build . everything in terms of hardware and badges is unique

The root beer pearl colored wrap for lack of a better name is equally rare in my experience at least

There are also identically built kits wearing Recco badges

There may also be some of these kits wearing Multi-shine badges

I have seen no other names used on these kits though there may certainly be some others

The matching snare drum is absolutely gorgeous

and at least twice as unique as the rest of the kit

I would be just as curious to learn the official name of the wrap color??

I have a kit in that color but it is not the same style otherwise

I also have a zim gar kit built in this style but not the same color Good Luck

Posted on 7 years ago
Posted on 7 years ago

This wrap looks like some I bought off of eBay a few months back that I liked and covered a Rogers set in. Maybe they still have some. Worth a short if you can find some Zim Gar shells to wrap.

Wayne

1 attachments
Posted on 7 years ago

Thanks for the info. I'll look on eBay for some wraps for a couple similar Zim-Gar shells.

Posted on 7 years ago

Very nice kit ! I can also say that i have never seen this wrap finish on any other

MIJ drum kit. I would also tell you that there are more than enough drums on the set to provide your son with sufficient "percussive tones". It's a five piece kit, and most of us here, including professionals, only use 3 drums plus snare,

myself included. With that being said, the less drums there are for your son to concentrate on, the better. So i really don't think you'd have to look for a matching tom, which as you're finding out, will be nearly impossible to find.

Snare drum may be just as difficult to scope out as well. As for the finish on your kit, it's absolutely stunning, and i'm going to venture a guess and make one up and say, "Copper/Bronze Diamond Pearl" ??

Whatever the case, really nice set for your son to start on .. I started on a vintage Naugahyde finish

Westbury from the early 70's, and i thought it was the coolest of the Cool1

Posted on 7 years ago
Action Another action Something else here