Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 133.06889%

Zildjian Trans stamp 17-18"? sizzle Last viewed: 1 week ago

All I've learned from you fine folks about my 67 downbeat has encouraged me to take a harder look at the cymbals that came with it when first bought in the early 70's. I had always called my 17"+ crash/ride sizzle an 18". Here's what I know - definitely a Trans stamp, stamp is 1 3/16" or 1 1/4" long depending on who's measuring. I know that Zildjian made a 17" and a 18", but this measures just over 17" unlike my 16" crash which is dead nuts 16". Can anyone tell me how many rivets the factory would normally install? This one has seven,and they are not evenly spaced. I do think it dates to the 50's, maybe 40's. Haven't graduated to posting pics, but ...

60's Ludwig Vintage
90's Premier Signia
Posted on 10 years ago

Trans-stamp are 1 1/8" tall. Heavy Z and CO. You may have 60's stamp with those measurements.

Gary

Sonor teardrops:
12,13,16,20, 14x5 snare
Fibes crystallite-14x5.5 snare
Posted on 10 years ago

As far as spotting factory rivets goes...seven rivets is non standard. The committee only accepts 6 or 8. That's one strike against factory drilled. Next factory drilled are evenly spaced. You say these are not so that's a second strike against factory drilled. This older post covers some of the other tests, but yours has already failed two of them.

From vyacheslav

A few clues I would think to look for:1. Are the holes evenly spaced and clean?2. How far are the holes in from the outer edge (Zildjian factory is 1.5"-at least on non-Pang/Chinas). It's possible that an after market shop did them the same distance away from the edge, but if its not 1.5", then you know they are not factory.3. Are "official" Zildjian rivets currently in the holes? What I mean by this is are the rivets the kind that look like an asterisk at the bottom? No other place I know of is able to flange the rivets out in the asterisk shape like Zildjian (or Sabian) does. Even with "official" Zildjian rivets, most professional shops either crimp the edges or flange them out slightly, not in the asterisk shape.Hope this helps,V

Posted on 10 years ago

1 3/16" height is the early 60s stamp

1 1/4" height is the late 50s small stamp.

reference: [ame]http://black.net.nz/cym2013/ZDatingZildjianCymbals.pdf[/ame]

You need to be able to measure reliably and repeatably to within 1/16" before you can play the game of stamp heights.

In order to keep the pesky stamp from varying in height depending on who is measuring it what I do is place a piece of masking tape at the very top and very bottom of the stamp. This takes a few goes of placing it and then lifting it a bit to recheck. I find this really helps when part of a stamp is missing. Once the tape is in place then you measure the distance between the edges of the tape.

The height of the stamp isn't the only thing which looks different between different eras, but until you can do photos we can't really help.

Posted on 10 years ago

Thanks Folks,

I'm going to get that picture thing handled. The tape to measure is a good idea, and I had used the guide attached to determine it's ethnicity as a trans stamp. Definite pronounced Z and Co. I'll check those edge measurements, and hopefully have pic attached on next post.

60's Ludwig Vintage
90's Premier Signia
Posted on 10 years ago
Action Another action Something else here