Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 133.26931%

Zildjian Scimitar Ride

Hi, guys!

I've googled a bit about these ride cymbals but, haven't found out a lot. I know that ZBT's were the successors and that most reviews were not good. Some liked the 20 inch rides but, most thought they were lower end at the very least. I am no expert at anything but, I know a lot of you are very knowledgeable "cymbalologists". Thanks in advance, everyone.

Brian

Just a drummer who loves all things about vintage drums! Nothing more, nothing less.
Posted on 8 years ago

I owned hi hats in that line back in the 90s. I bought them brand new in about 1995 i believe. That line was the budget Zildjian cymbals throughout most of the 90s.

-Justin

"People might look at you a bit funny, but it's okay. Artists are allowed to be a bit different."- Bob Ross

"After silence, that which comes closest to expressing the inexpressible is music..." - Aldous Huxley
Posted on 8 years ago

I bought a (new) Scimitar cymbal pack back in about 1987. I sold/gave all away in time, but kept the ride cymbal. **This is FIRST generation Scimitar BTW**

I used that ride cymbal for about 21 years before I got started in this "hobby".

I still have it as well - will eventually pass it down to my son.

I actually recorded with it for 2 albums, and it sounded great. It is a simple, dry, pingy cymbal with a fabulous clear and cutting bell.

I would probably prefer it to a ZBT ride and also use it before a Sabian B8.

$ Value? check ebay completed.

Sonic value? Much better than most would think.

Note: I speak of the first generation Scimitar - and not of the "Scimitar Bronze" or any other form of Scimitar Zildjian put out there.

I had a great day! Instead of sleeping in and wasting the day, I got up at 8 and I had all my slacking done by noon!

2Timothy1:7
Posted on 8 years ago

Hey Brian - you buy one of these? I just got one in yesterday that I will be selling. It is a much newer 90s model. Very brilliant finish. It sounds much more bright and resonant than the one I described above.

I believe this one is made of B8 and is a very loud cymbal - will cut like crazy.

Let me know if you want pics. You can have it for $40 plus ship. I am in Michigan 49285. (Yeah, I know......shipping from US to CN might be prohibitive)

I had a great day! Instead of sleeping in and wasting the day, I got up at 8 and I had all my slacking done by noon!

Posted on 8 years ago

I just shot a quick video demo with my phone. Audio quality limited (phone) but it at least shows the difference between the first generation Scimitar and the later 90s version with the brilliant finish.

Not idea audio quality circumstance, but better than nothing. I will add the link when it is done loading up to YT.

Posted on 8 years ago

Here is the link for the Zildjian Scimitar demo.

[ame]https://youtu.be/XoJ91-c-yjU[/ame]

Hope this will help you Brian.

Posted on 8 years ago

Thanks for those replies, John! I really appreciate your time and effort. I think I'll hang on to and use the cymbals I have for a bit. I installed an old Camco sizzler on my ZBT and like the sound. The bell isn't great but, it has the old sixties feel that I like. It always amazes me that you and others on the forum will go the extra distance to help out a fellow member. Thanks again, John!

Brian

Just a drummer who loves all things about vintage drums! Nothing more, nothing less.
Posted on 8 years ago

Brian - I would regret making the above video if I failed to while I had that newer Scimitar in my ownership.

Here is a brand new video that just finished the 8 hour upload about 10 minutes ago. This is the very first ever published Chameleon's Dish EVER on the internet. BIG PREMIER HERE!

This song features that old first generation Scimitar Ride. Amazing how much better it sounds after our sound engineer got his hands on the mixing console.

Without further ado.... from 22 years ago:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DouHOi0-7I&feature=youtu.be"]The Chameleon's Dish - "Spear" - with slideshow - YouTube[/ame]

Posted on 8 years ago

John! I had a hunch that you were an excellent musician but, I never dreamed that you were this good!!! Your work with cymbals is very tasteful, especially when you strike the bell. Your hi hat work is simply amazing! The stops and breaks you employ with the rest of the kit, snare in particular, can be compared to a human metronome! I am envious of your talent, my friend! I doubt if I will ever be as good! Thanks for sharing. WOW!!!

Brian

Posted on 8 years ago

Thanks Brian!

My meter was a bit wobbly back then (if you listen close) - but it was my first ever studio experience and had to be recorded live in 1 take. We drummers have the hardest task in the studio IMHO. Regarding my work - it's easier when you are backing a truly great band of musicians - and I had alot to inspire me. I was fresh off 8 years in a row of chop building marching band as well - so the dynamic intense parts were as expected for my age.

Did you happen to notice how good that ride sounded?

Posted on 8 years ago
Action Another action Something else here