Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.86848%

Zildjian K rivets

Hi, just purchased a 56-57 zildjian K 20. It has these brass rivets that say 45 on top of them? Anybody know anything about this? I ask because Ive tried the cymbal without the rivets, with regular steel rivets from a hardware store, and the brass 45 that came in it. The brass 45 sound the best, only a slight difference, prob no difference at all really, but i like em. The cymbal is drilled for 4 rivets, and I only have 3. Im mainly curious, because I dont know much about k's. Were these added later or thats how it came? Thanks in advance.

Keith

Posted on 11 years ago

MOST factory riveted K's had 8 rivets...don't recall ever seeing one with 4 though...and have had easily over 100 K's in my life......

Old A.Zils had 6.....

Drum shops back in the day could put rivets in where you could hardly tell they were not factory....now...they would probably crack your cymbal doing it..and go...oops!Sorry!.....

"Always make sure your front bottom BD lugs clear the ground!"
Posted on 11 years ago

Yeah I riveted a couple A's, but wouldnt try it on this. Its def 4 holes, must not be factory then.

Posted on 11 years ago

I don't think some drumshops were too picky about the kind of rivets, they used. Chromed , Nickeled or steel rivets are more commonly available at hardware stores but are all harder than the bronze( or brass) and over time will ream the hole out too much. Brass rivets would have to be searched for.

I acquired an N.O.S. riveted A.Zildjian 16" , from the daughter of a former employee at Trixon( Trixon , were the German distributors for A. Zildjian, for many years) and the 8 rivets are brass.

Blair's advice is probably true-----with the 4 brass rivets arriving courtesy of a drum shop but a knowledgeable one.

Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here