Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 133.26931%

ZILDJIAN K Hi Hats - Date stamp identification

Hi there

I have recently acquired a pair of Zildjian K Hi-Hats and I was curious to know how old they are exactly. I have done some research online but still a little unsure so was hoping that someone here could help me out.

Here is a link to some images, the third photo being of the stamp:

http://s374.photobucket.com/user/banksy76_bucket/library/Zildjian%20K%20Hi-Hats

Many thanks in advance!

www.backwaterchannels.com
www.facebook.com/backwaterchannelsstudio
Posted on 8 years ago

Can't say exactly, but they have the coarse versus fine lathing so that suggests they aren't EAKs. Years vary a bit for EAKs depending on who answers, but let's say EAK = 1981 (some say 81, some 82, some say 1979) to maybe 1984 (but again there will be different dates floating around).

Here's an example of the fine EAK lathing if you scroll down from here. I also shows the K in on the underside:

http://black.net.nz/avedis/hammering.html#h-can-k-bot

You haven't posted a picture of what ink is on the bottom of yours. Have you got a K or the word Zildjian on the bottom?

So yours would be after 1984 or so. At the other end of the likely time period those come before the laser serials which began in 1994. That leaves a 10 year period.

If anybody else has some evidence about the year when the lathing moved from fine to coarse, and when the K on the bottom became Zildjian than that might help narrow the margin of error.

Posted on 8 years ago

From zenstat

You haven't posted a picture of what ink is on the bottom of yours. Have you got a K or the word Zildjian on the bottom?So yours would be after 1984 or so. At the other end of the likely time period those come before the laser serials which began in 1994. That leaves a 10 year period. If anybody else has some evidence about the year when the lathing moved from fine to coarse, and when the K on the bottom became Zildjian than that might help narrow the margin of error.

There is no ink on the underside of either the top or bottom hi-hat, most likely removed from cleaning by the previous owner/s

www.backwaterchannels.com
www.facebook.com/backwaterchannelsstudio
Posted on 8 years ago
Action Another action Something else here