Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 131.46555%

Zildjian Impulse Hats

My fellow band mate brought me a pair of 14" Zildjian Impulse Hi-Hats tonight.He has them had kicking around in storage for about six years now.Has anyone heard of these? All I have gathered from online is that there were produced in the early to mid 80's.Aside from that I can't really find anything on them.They are in great condition with no cracks.Were they a budget line like the Schmiter or were they a more pro line? I don't plan on selling them...its always good to have a back-up pair of hats or two.Thanks.

18 Kits & 40+ snares..
Not a Guru, just addicted to drums

- Jay
Posted on 18 years ago

If my memory serves me correctly, the Impulse was kind of like Zildjian's answer to the Paiste Rude. I think they were a lot heavier than the normal "A's" at the time and were more of a middle of the road cymbal than a higher line A or K.

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 18 years ago

The Impulse line was the predecessor to the current Z series, produced c. early to late 80s. They should be pretty heavy cymbals, and they are pro-level, not budget. The Amir line was the budget line of that period.

I don't think there are a lot of Impulse cymbals kicking around out there. They're fairly rare. I've never seen any, myself.

Cool to have.

Charles

Gretsch late-'60s Progressive Jazz MBP 20-12-14
Gretsch Black Nitron 2008 USAC 20-12-14
U.S. Mercury (Star) '60s Blue Sparkle 20-12-14 + 14sn
'66 Ludwig 5x14 Supraphonic
'60s Ludwig 5x14 Acrolite
'70s Ludwig 402
'50s WFL 6.5x14 Supreme Concert
'70s Slingerland 5x14 140 (alum)
'60s Gretsch RB 4103 BDP
'70s Gretsch SSB 5x14 4108 (alum)
'00s Gretsch USA bronze 6.5
Posted on 18 years ago

I purchased a pair of these when they first came out back in the 80's. I am still using them today. They were the predecessor to the K's. They resembled the Paiste Rude's. The impulse are very heavy and have a great sound. I wish I had purchased some other Impulse series cymbals when they were out. The finish is raw but the sound is great. I agree, not many are around and not many drummers seem to remember them.

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here