Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.06681%

Zildjian Hi Hats?

All,

Trying to ID some Zildjian 15" Hi Hat cymbals that I got with a Vistalite set back in 1988/1989 (also came with an early 1980's Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash and an early 1980's Zildjian 20" Medium Ride). I believe they are from the 1970's based on the "thin" Zildjian stamp.

[IMG]http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy309/HerronScott/Zildjian%20Cymbals/100_1000.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy309/HerronScott/Zildjian%20Cymbals/100_1002.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy309/HerronScott/Zildjian%20Cymbals/100_1001.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy309/HerronScott/Zildjian%20Cymbals/100_1003.jpg[/IMG]

They came as you see them - heavy on the patina on the outside. No signs of any ink stamps remain either outside or inside and weights are 1172 grams and 1314 grams. Given the weights would these have been New Beats?

The second question is related to some 14" Zildjian Hi Hat cymbals that I just bought on eBay for my son's drum set. They have the hollow Zildjian ink logo so I think that means late 1970's but they are the Rock models. How are those different from the New Beat model? Will they both be the same weight (roughly) versus having a heavier bottom cymbal?

Thanks for any information you can give me!

Scott

Posted on 14 years ago

You're right. Early '70's.

Posted on 14 years ago

From Drumaholic

You're right. Early '70's.

Thanks for confirming that. Do you know if these would have been New Beats given the weights?

Also, any information on the Rock Hi Hats that I bought for my son and how those are different from New Beats?

Thanks!

Scott

Posted on 14 years ago

I see from Zildjian's website that they show the New Beat Hi Hat cymbals to be M/H weight and the Rock Hi Hat cymbals to be H/EH so assuming that's stayed the same then the 14" Rock ones we purchased on eBay (late 1970 era) should be heavier than a 14" New Beat. I'm assuming the bottom cymbal will still be heavier than the top one like the New Beat (thus the H/EH).

Given the weight of my 15" Hi Hats (1172grams/1314grams), I'd maybe guess that these are probably Rock and not New Beat? That would probably match the character of the rest of the set they came with (1970's clear Vistalite with 24" bass, 13", 14", 15", 16" and 2 18" toms and a 1967 14" Acrolite snare). I've been checking eBay but haven't seen a lot of 15" New Beats listed with weights so I don't have anything to compare them to.

Scott

Posted on 14 years ago

From HerronScott

I see from Zildjian's website that they show the New Beat Hi Hat cymbals to be M/H weight and the Rock Hi Hat cymbals to be H/EH so assuming that's stayed the same then the 14" Rock ones we purchased on eBay (late 1970 era) should be heavier than a 14" New Beat. I'm assuming the bottom cymbal will still be heavier than the top one like the New Beat (thus the H/EH).Given the weight of my 15" Hi Hats (1172grams/1314grams), I'd maybe guess that these are probably Rock and not New Beat? That would probably match the character of the rest of the set they came with (1970's clear Vistalite with 24" bass, 13", 14", 15", 16" and 2 18" toms and a 1967 14" Acrolite snare). I've been checking eBay but haven't seen a lot of 15" New Beats listed with weights so I don't have anything to compare them to.Scott

Received the 14 inch Zildjian Rock Hi Hats today. Weights are 1186 grams for the one marked bottom and 1206 grams for the top. Both have the hollow Zildjian ink logo on the inside and the stamp looks like the early 1970's stamp. I'm guessing my early 1970 15" ones must be New Beats then given the weight difference.

I'm partial to the sound of the 15" ones but don't have a lot of experience and I'll have to see what my son thinks since they are for his set. :)

Scott

Posted on 14 years ago

I would say, these are late 60s - early 70s.

Really nice ones, i'd love to see your kit, if you had one.

I admire these cymbals! Bowing

Posted on 14 years ago

Thanks, I got a good buy on a set of 14" New Beat Zildjians from I believe the 60's for my son which do sound better than the 14" Rock Zildjians. Even though the 14" New Beats sound good, I really really like the sounds the 15" ones make. :)

I do have the clear Vistalites which I cleaned up and set up for my son to practive drums but they are in a messy basement so no pictures. I did just pick up a 12" tom at a really good price and a 16" floor tom for more than I probably should have paid, but I really wanted to add a 16" floor tom!

Scott

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here