Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.66806%

Zildjian hats question

Trying to be an informed consumer. What differences -- in manufacturing, sound, value -- are there between the Zildjian Trans-stamp period and the early 60s A (pre-New Beat) period? The price difference can be considerable, even though the cymbals may have been made just five or six years apart in the same plant.

Posted on 11 years ago

From stinny

Trying to be an informed consumer. What differences -- in manufacturing, sound, value -- are there between the Zildjian Trans-stamp period and the early 60s A (pre-New Beat) period? The price difference can be considerable, even though the cymbals may have been made just five or six years apart in the same plant.

lots more hand hammering on the trans stamp over the 60's model. plus, remember that trans stamp also pre dates the 50's as well. so, can be more of a date gap there.

there are plenty of 60's a's around,fine cymbals. the trans stamps are just usually more desirable and will bring a higher price,but also should do the same at resale time..

mike

Posted on 11 years ago

From stinny

The main difference is the lathing and hand hammering. The 60's cymbals, to the best of my knowledge were not hand hammered at all. The difference in sound, to me is huge. Good trans stamps are often darker and smokier with a woodier stick, a nice wash and lots of trash. Many thinner ones sound closer to old K's than to A's. IMHO, even the 60's cymbals, while usually not in the same league as the trans stamps, often sound better than just about any A made after that period.

Mark
BosLover
Posted on 11 years ago

thanks for pointing out the lathing as well. had it on my mind and just left it there!

mike

Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here