Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 131.46555%

zildjian factory seconds

When I was a kid i took drum lessons from an old jazz player in Quincy, Massachusetts. It was about 30 years ago. He hooked me up with my first cymbal which was a Zildjian Ride cymbal. He told me and my dad that he had a friend that worked at the Zildjian factory (which was and still is located about 20 minutes from me) and he could get some factory second cymbals for dirt cheap. My understanding was that if a cymbal didn't meet the standards of the testers, it would be stamped with an "S" which stood for second quality and would be sent to be melted down for new cymbals. Sounds like someone who worked there had an insider racket going on there and was making a couple of extra bucks on the side by grabbing these factory seconds and selling them off. I have no way of proving this but the Ride cymbal does have a"S" stamped in it. Has anyone ever heard of something similiar happening. I am cuious if any collectors would be interested in it. By the way it is still my main ride. LOL

Here is a link with some pictures: http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/showthread.php?t=199559

Posted on 16 years ago

Shepfu, As history has it, the seconds were made at the plant in Canada.They were marketed as "Zilco".That plant is now the Sabian plant.Maybe they could've been making seconds at the Mass. plant.But,if anyone was selling them direct,they were most likely stealing from the company.Best of luck.

Posted on 16 years ago

I was told the same story. I have an 18" ride with an "S" stamped in it as well. It's one of my favorite cymbals.

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here