Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 131.46555%

Zildjian - Earth Cymbal ?

Posted on 16 years ago

Hey JohnG!

The Zildjian "Earth" ride is literally a cymbal that isn't cut/lathed. The making of this cymbal is essentially stopped at this point, where it is just a cast disc with the bell added. What you get is a very DRY ride with little to no overtones... there is a bit of "wash" of course, but not a lot. Stick definition and ride patterns are quite enhanced, although again, on the dry side. The cymbal seems to excel in the "louder music" arena where volume and cut/definition are requirements... however! ... I have also seen/heard these Earth rides played in a lite jazz setting with complete control. The ride patterns just jump on these types of rides, but I have to stress again: VERY DRY.

The first time I ever saw/heard a Zildjian earth ride, it was Billy Cobham that was playing it. If I'm not mistaken, the cymbal was created for him as he was looking for a ride cymbal that would cut through the amplified fusion that he was playing at the time. I remember walking up to his kit and scratching my head as I had never seen anything like it before. He may have had the proto-type even. This was around 1975 if memory serves. Anyway, it was a nice design as it was pretty easy to pick out/hear his ride patterns over the volume of the band... and this was back when the Brecker Brother's were touring with him. Man... those were the days!!!

Tommyp

Posted on 16 years ago

TommyP,

Thanks, now that I have my vintage kits I am looking for a few matching era Zildjians and high hats. I have an Avedis 20" Ping Ride and 16" thin crash from the 90's along with a Paiste thin crash that I really like. The Ping seems to get away from me when hitting heavy but sounds sweet on lighter stuff. I would like a more cutting bell also.

The Brecker Brothers !!!!!...I used to see them all the time in the Village at a club called 7th Aveue South. I believe they owned a part of the place.

They were always there, along with Gadd and Will Lee. and a few others......fantastic stuff....I recall in those days it was "snowing" alot back stage for sure.........someone was aways leaving and coming back a bit lite........

Posted on 16 years ago

the Zildjian Earth Ride was first made in 1979, its unlathed and unhammerd, The simalar Paiste Rude series was made a year later

Posted on 16 years ago

That is the original Dry Heavy Ride. A great cymbal if you like that sort of thing. I bought one new in Dec. 1979. Sold it in 2000, For what it cost new. On that cymbal, I would want some definite close ups of the edge. I got two bits says its been cut.

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 16 years ago

Hey JohnG!... a couple notes of interest:

Cobham was in fact playing the "Earth" ride prior to '79, although I have no doubt that '79 was when it was offered for sale to the general public. I believe he had a proto-type back in late '75, possibly early '76 as I caught him like four times in that span! Every time was with the Brecker Brothers too! I remember that two of them were the "Crosswinds" and "Total Eclipse" tours. GREAT STUFF! And yeah... no doubt on the snow either! :-) It was quite apparent! You know I caught the Brecker Brothers during their "Heavy Metal Be-Bop" tour and as I recall it was quite snowy then too! :-)

Little side note on the "Earth" ride: BR... Buddy Rich... also tried the "Earth" ride for a bit. Buddy had been taping the underside of his Medium Rides for a while trying to get a bit more stick definition with less wash... then ... next time I saw him, he had an "Earth" ride up on his kit. I thought that pretty strange for Buddy at the time, but he did try it. Buddy eventually went back to his Zildjian Medium Ride, but he was experimenatal there for a while. On one concert I have, he's got a Paiste ride on his kit! The only thing I thought odd with that was his LONG TIME and pleasant endorsement with Zildjian. The Paiste didn't last too long... it was soon gone. I would think he liked it though!

Tommyp

Posted on 16 years ago

Quoted post

That is the original Dry Heavy Ride. A great cymbal if you like that sort of thing. I bought one new in Dec. 1979. Sold it in 2000, For what it cost new. On that cymbal, I would want some definite close ups of the edge. I got two bits says its been cut.

cut ?? whaddya meanby that ???

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here