Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.26722%

Zildjian Avedis Vintage Weight Categories

Hey folks.

I am thinking about buying a vintage Avedis Crash Cymbal to complete/enhance my vintage cymbal set. Since on eBay for example, you sometimes find "weight" in the descriptions, i would like to know about the "regular" weights for crash cymbals.

Let's say: what would be the average weights for a

1. thin

2. normal (medium?)

3. heavy

vintage Avedis crash cymbal in either 16"/17"/18" ? is there something like a "rule" for that?

same goes for HH and RD. I own a pair of 60s HH and 2 rides, and would like to "categorize" them by a rule, not only by ear...... if you know what i mean......

greetz from Germany.....

Posted on 13 years ago
Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 13 years ago

cool, thanks for that link, seems like it's a pretty good indicator for the weight class, although i was surprised that i might actually be a difference between "cymbal weight" and "possible cymbal name".

Mine are as follows:

Zildjian Avedis

1960s 14" Hihat: Top 800g (extra light) - Bottom 1000g (medium light) - considering the sound i would call it a "Thin HH", so that seems fair.

1970s 16" Crash: 1080g (extralight) - considering the sound i would call it a Thin Crash, works...

1960s 20" Ride: 2600g (heavy) - considering the sound i would call it a medium ride, doesn't sound too heavy..

1960s 20" Ride nr.2: 2180g (medium) - considering the sound i would call it a "crash/ride" or "thin ride", that's the biggest difference to my ears....

but still i think, the categorization with the calculator works ok... gives a good idea, especially to smaller cymbals (HH/CR)... and in the end, it's all up to your ears anyway...

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here