Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 131.46555%

Zildjian Armand Series

Anybody playing these new "vintage sound" cymbals.

They have been designed thinner then many of todays to recreate the 60-70

full wash type of sound......think Ringo.......

Posted on 16 years ago

Quoted post

Anybody playing these new "vintage sound" cymbals.They have been designed thinner then many of todays to recreate the 60-70full wash type of sound......think Ringo.......

Think JAZZ too, not just Ringo and sixties rock & roll. It's true the Armands do sound very close to the better early sixties As, but there are some differences, especially in the MT crashes. They are not as washy as some of my sixties and seventies A crashes. I have the 19" BB ride, the 21" ride, both 16" and 18" MT crashes, and the 14" hats. I also have sixties and seventies Zildjians. The Armands are wonderful, but not as loud as the typical seventies A. If using the Armands sixties rock where volume is needed, I might have a mike over the kit for a big room. If you're in a metal band with Marshal stacks they may not be for you. Like many other Zildjians, no two of a particular model are exactly alike. I've heard more good ones then duds though. I think the Armands are the best thing Zildjian has produced in a very long time. You might want to read about them here: http://drumforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21050&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=armands

Bun E. had some nice things tro say about them.

Matt

Ludwig-Zildjian-Aquarian
Posted on 16 years ago

Thanks for the feedback Onemat.

Your comment that no two are alike is so true. Tht's what scares me about buying them via e-bay. There are always vintage Zildjians on the market, and some can be had at a good price, but exactly what they sound like is unclear. Sellers are now adding sound waves which are a great help, as long as they are true. There is one crash for sale now where the guy hits it with his hand and it initially sounds true but the sustain builds as of there are 5 going.

Posted on 16 years ago

I buy on eBay when the price stays low enough that I can re-sell if I do not like it. I bought an 18" like that and I'm happy with it. There's another used 18 on there right now and I bid very low. If you are buying new cymbals, try a 5-star shop. I like Midwest Percussion. If you purchase a new cymbal they allow exchanges. If you call there, ask for John. T

Matt

Ludwig-Zildjian-Aquarian
Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here