Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.26722%

Zildjian and Vic Firth Merge

Just got this email from Zildjian. Interesting

December 20, 2010

It is my pleasure to announce that as of today, the world's leading cymbal manufacturer, the Avedis Zildjian Company, will merge with Vic Firth, the global market leader in drumsticks, effective immediately. Both of our New England-based, family-owned companies are well respected legacy brands in the music industry with a long tradition of product quality and innovation.

Zildjian is honored to join forces with the Vic Firth Company which has set the standard for drumsticks in the music industry. Similarities in our cultures and business philosophies, coupled with a shared dedication to product and service excellence, provide a strong foundation for the union of our two companies. Both companies will continue to run autonomously. In fact, our customers should notice no difference in the way business is conducted moving forward.

"I have the greatest respect for Zildjian," said Vic Firth, President, Vic Firth Company. "Our businesses share common values, a passion for manufacturing, and a similar approach to how we do business. This union represents a unique opportunity to leverage our respective leadership positions in the drumstick and cymbal categories. I look forward to years of growth and newfound success."

All of us at Zildjian and Vic Firth thank you for your continued support and wish you and your families a very happy holiday.

More information on this exciting merger is available at Zildjian.com.

Sincerely,

Craigie Zildjian

CEO

Avedis Zildjian Company

Joe

“I did not trip and fall. I attacked the floor and I believe I am winning.”
Posted on 13 years ago

Well, this is bizarre. I don't see the connection between old world craftsmanship in metallurgy and the woodworking of stick manufacturing. Ahhhh, but Zildjian no longer has old world craftsmanship. It's all quick like a bunny speed banging to put out a cymbal. Now it's coming together. The lathing departments will blend into a single entity which will make for a much stronger stick ... and a much weaker cymbal.

All kidding aside, this is very reminiscent of the 1980's merger-fever that brought some of the most unusual business marriages. That failed, though.

hummmmm.....we shall see what we shall see.

First glance, it's not unusual. But consider, most non-proprietary stick manufacturing was done by drum builders. They were wood workers. This is definitely going to be an interesting watch from the sidelines.

Posted on 13 years ago

I would venture the price of sticks or cymbals, or both, are going up.

Kevin
Posted on 13 years ago

Kevins, unfortunately that might be true. And Chinese made sticks and cymbals will still be a much, much cheaper and therefore viable alternative. Maybe we'll see more Dream dealers as an unintended byproduct of this kind of merger?

Posted on 13 years ago

My son has been using Zildjian John Riley sticks for several years. The quality of Zildjian sticks had been very poor for a long time. He would sometimes have to check out 4 or 5 pairs to get one good one. A number of months ago we noted a marked improvement in the John Riley model. We went to Sam Ash in NJ and found 6 out of 6 pairs that were perfect. We recently purchased some additional pairs there just to keep in reserve. They opened a new brick for us to select from, and EVERY pair was perfect.

With this merger news, I now wonder if the recent marked improvement in Zildjian sticks is somehow related. Perhaps Vic Firth had already started making sticks for Zildjian. The quality was not only better, but the wood looked different. The older sticks were a paler color than the newer better quality ones. Hmmm

Mark
BosLover
Posted on 13 years ago

Actually, I recently had a music store employee whose been around a long time tell me exactly that... he said Vic Firth had been making Zildjian's stick for a while now. I don't know how long exactly, probably months, though.

Current gigging set:
Recent Ludwig Accent 13/16/18/26, (in Silver Sparkle), "updated" 70's Acrolite with cast batter hoop and Trick strainer/butt

Cymbals:
Zildjian K Custom Ride, Dream (Bliss and Contact) crashes and hats, and a Sabian Swish/China.

Other stuff:
60's Ludwig Champagne Sparkle "Traveler's Club Date", under construction. Click Here
70's Acrolite (under RE-construction)
Two 1960's mahogany 32" Ludwig bass drums with Imperial lugs.
Posted on 13 years ago

From jonrpick

Actually, I recently had a music store employee whose been around a long time tell me exactly that... he said Vic Firth had been making Zildjian's stick for a while now. I don't know how long exactly, probably months, though.

That would make sense considering our experience.

Mark
BosLover
Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here