Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.06681%

Zildjian A Ride, Help?

Hey, I just bought an Avedis Zildjian Ride on Ebay with 14" Quick beat hats for 170$ shipped, and I had a few questions regarding the ride cymbal...

It is very thin, and has circular lathing all around it, but I can notice very subtle hammering ALL OVER the cymbal. The bell is darker than any other bell I have ever heard, and is fairly big. The sound of it is very complex, and almost trashy like a paper thin K.. Is this cymbal likley to be older than the 1960's?

The stamp indicates that it's age is somewhere between 1963-1968, but the sound is so dark and washy that it very much resembles an old K... One of the best cymbal I have ever heard, no doubt!

Has anyone had a lot of experience with these Avedis 60's rides? I thought they were supposed to be very bright cymbals. This ride can play jazz all over the place!

Ba-Dum..CRASH!

1966 Slingerland "Modern Jazz Outfit"
1960's Zildjian Avedis Cymbals

www.myspace.com/oliverandtheattackofthelovely
Posted on 14 years ago

If I could see some pictures of both the cymbal and the trademark I could help you out much better. Off hand it reminds me of a 1970's A that I had once. Your description fits it to a tee.

Posted on 14 years ago

Yeah, I have played a few good 1970's rides that sounded VERY similar. Unfortunatley I can't take any pictures ATM because the family camera is broken.. But I do know that the stamp dates it to be around the late 60's..

I honestly think that it sounds almost exactly like a nice old K though. The only difference is it's bell, it is very loud, and big. I can record sound files with audacity if anyone is interested? I was thinking of possibly selling it at first but It has grown on me very much!

:)

Ba-Dum..CRASH!

1966 Slingerland "Modern Jazz Outfit"
1960's Zildjian Avedis Cymbals

www.myspace.com/oliverandtheattackofthelovely
Posted on 14 years ago

From nemo007

But I do know that the stamp dates it to be around the late 60's:)

In that case, can you describe the attributes that make you sure of the time period? Height of stamp, presence or absence of the 3 dots, the type of lettering in the word Zildjian... that sort of thing. You asked about age, but without some detailed info on the stamp its kind of a guess. Do you or anyone in your family have a cell phone with a decent built in camera? Many of the newer ones not only have high resolution cameras but have macro settings that allow for tight closeups.

Mark
BosLover
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here