Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 133.46973%

Zildjian 18" China? Pang? Swish?

Hey guys.

I have this cymbal and I'm not really sure what it is. I think I need schooled on the differences between a china, a swish, a pang, etc.

I bought this from an older gentlemen that said he bought it new but could not recall when or what labeling was on it.

It is an 18" Zildjian with 6 rivets. I forgot to ask if the rivets were original. It weighs 1,480 grams.

The stamp is difficult to see with the patina.

Can anyone give me a better idea as to the model and year? Thanks!

Posted on 6 years ago

Forgot a pic of the stamp.

Posted on 6 years ago

In my day, that one was called a "Swish."

I had one just like it and when I bought it used,

it was called a swish.

I believe what distinguishes it as a swish are the upward lift at edge

with the addition of the rivets.

Without rivets, I believe it becomes a "Pang."

Looks cool.

BLAEMIRE DRUMS
Thanks to Mr. Jerry Jenkins
Posted on 6 years ago

It has what we call a 70s stamp. The upturned edge means Swish.

Here is a pictorial summary of the shape differences from Pinksterboer:

[img]http://black.net.nz/avedis/images/swish-vs-pang.png[/img]

And a glossary at the link below:

http://black.net.nz/cym2014/z-1976-cymtypes.jpg

The Zildjian china has a more squared off bell not the same bell as an ordinary cymbal.

Posted on 6 years ago

Thank you for the information gentlemen. The pictorial summary is helpful.

Posted on 6 years ago

I say it's a Swish.

In addition to a more gradual upturned edge, a Pang also has a different sound than a Swish. A Pang has a much more subtle and softer attack than a Swish or China. It's almost as if you are hitting the Pang with a soft timpani mallet rather than a drumstick. I've owned an 18" and a 20" Pang in the past, and they both had the very soft, subtle, "mallet" type attack.

Posted on 6 years ago

Swish.

Not sure when this happened, but factory rivets installed in a Swish made it a "Swish Knocker" as I recall. Factory (Swish Knocker) or aftermarket (Swish) rivets sort of defined this as I recall.

But it has the round bell, not the geometric one of the Pang model (which could have rivets from the factory as an option, as all Zildjian cymbals do, but no special names in those cases) so it's a Swish, or Swish Knocker.

Cobalt Blue Yamaha Recording Custom 20b-22b-8-10-12-13-15-16f-18f
Red Ripple '70's Yamaha D-20 20b-12-14f
Piano Black Yamaha Recording Custom Be-Bop kit 18b-10-14f
Snares:
Yamaha COS SDM5; Yamaha Cobalt Blue RC 5-1/2x14; Gretsch round badge WMP; 1972 Ludwig Acrolite; 1978 Ludwig Super Sensitive; Cobalt Blue one-off Montineri; Yamaha Musashi 6.5X13 Oak; cheap 3.5X13 brass piccolo
Posted on 6 years ago
Action Another action Something else here