Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.26722%

Zildian Hi-Hats

Hi - after shopping for awhile I picked up a nice set of '60's Avedis hi-hats a while back. Then, as luck would have it, I stumbled across a set of Avedis New Beats yesterday. Since I don't need two sets of hi-hats, thought I would post here for members thoughts on comparing these two sets sets of hi-hats. I'll also be putting them to the test with some playing later, too, so appreciate any thoughts folks have as I go about deciding which set to keep & which to sell. thanks

Posted on 13 years ago

Youre not the only one that needs to get rid of some Zildjian HH's. After 30+ years of searching I finally found my PERFECT set of hat's. 14" K. Custom top/A. Mastersound bottom.Now Im left with a 14" A. Mastersound top/K. Custom bottom.

Posted on 13 years ago

I'd try mixing and matching the avedis hats with the new beats just like the above poster did. You might be surprised. As far as Avedis vs New beats, both are Avedis. So you're going to be relying on your ears to determine which ones you like better. New Beats were a very hot hihat type for quite a while after being introduced in the 60s--they're still go-to hats for many drummers. But not everyone prefers them, so you'll need to play the 2 sets and figure out what set you prefer personally.

If you aren't sure, and you can afford to keep them, you could hold onto them until you figure it out. I'm currently playing a heavy 30s Zildjian over a 60s medium Avedis. I love the sound of my cymbals. If you find yourself playing them and leaving them on there, forgetting you were just "testing them for sound," that might be an indicator in favor of keeping them.

Posted on 13 years ago

good points, thanks. In the end, I want to end up with just one set of hats - so will play them a bit & see what I like better. A plus is both sets have a lot of patina build up - I was playing the '60's yesterday - what a "click" sound they have! thanks

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here