Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 131.46555%

Yet another cymbal that needs identifying

Hi!

I work as a drum instructor in different marching bands in my home town, and at the bottom of a stack of old cymbals I found an 18" cymbal simply stamped

"Metior - Made in W. Germany"

Looks really old, and sounds great. Does anybody have any info on Metior?

Thanks.

Posted on 16 years ago

If it's spelled Meteor, not with an "i' where the second "e" is, I believe they were made by Meinl, which is a German manufacturer...

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 16 years ago

Nope, sorry. Here it is spelled with an "i", witch is wierd since the word is spelled with an "e" in german too. There doesn't appear to be any connection between this cymbal and Meinl, at least that I can find online.

Posted on 16 years ago

Here is some pictures that may help. In the last picture one can make out the logo of a five pointed star and "Metior":

[Attachment: 2582]

[Attachment: 2583]

[Attachment: 2584]

3 attachments
Posted on 16 years ago

I also have a cymbal marked "Metior made in w germany" with a star, it is the only mark on the bottom side of a pair of hi-hats that are clearly older... I could perhaps capture a photo of the mark, but a simple internet search yeilds nothing.

This came with a blue sparkle no badge kit, the only other cymbal with the kit is a 20 inch zildjian with a 1 1/2 inch stamp that looks by its condition to be from the 70's, but I have no way of knowing if this gear originally came together, again, I would be happy to submit photos.

I bought the kit dirt cheap for parts to complete a 60's Star kit I have recently acquired, but will now be building a hybrid kit from the two, sort of a monster kit a la early Hal Blaine.

I would love some help nailing down the years these cymbals were produced, other than the obvious clue that W germany existed for a very narrow number of decades. Thanks for all your help~

Scavenjo

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here