Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 131.46555%

Wood Dynasonic Restoration

Hello, all:

I have been fortunate enough to find a late Dayton/early Fullerton wood dynasonic at a reasonable price. So that tells you right there that there are issues with the drum!

One issue is that the wrap had been removed and the drum was stained a medium tone finish. Since the wrap has been removed, I plan on rewrapping in WMP to match my kit as closely as possible.

The other issue will require the inside finish to be removed and recoated. This is due to the muffler being removed and some sort of patch varnished or epoxyed in place (yipes!) on the inside of the shell.

My question for the experts.....did Rogers use clear lacquer, shellac, varnish or polyurethane on the inside of the shell?

Thank you!

Ken

Posted on 18 years ago

Hi Ken...

Rogers used Lacquer on the inside veneer of their Dynasonics... HOWEVER!... The best way for you to approximate this look/finish will be to use a "colored poly/stain". The reason for this is that the lacquer that Rogers applied has had YEARS to "amber" in color, if you will. If you use lacquer, it won't look quite right. You are going to want a poly/stain that has an amber/yellow tint to it. Benjamin Moore is a possibility, as is going this route:

Zar Wood Stain... followed by Zar Polyurethane. This is another way to acheive the look of a vintage Rogers Dynasonic inner veneer. If you are interested we can talk on this more... Now,

The WMP wrap: The closest, and I do mean closest I have ever seen to Rogers "aged/yellowed" WMP is called "Antique WMP". I have TWO drums done in this to match my '66 Rogers BR Headliner kit and the match is excellent. Stay away from the WHITE/BLUE/GREY WMP offerings as they are much too vibrant for an "aged" Rogers wrap. If however you have had your Rogers drums re-wrapped, then it would be pretty easy to do.

Hope this was of help. Please get in touch if you require more information. Got Rogers?! :-)

Tommyp

Posted on 18 years ago

Tommy:

Of number one importance was the finish coat that was used and now I have that answer.....thank you, Tommy!

I haven't gotten into this project yet, but plan on it soon. Since the original finish is still in place for a color reference, I will most likely stain the bare wood with a light colored stain to match the original color prior to finishing.

The kit that this snare will be matched to is in original WMP and a mix of late Dayton/Early Fullerton, and it is slightly yellowed.

If you don't mind, I'll email you to discuss this project.

Thanks, again.

Ken

Posted on 18 years ago

Don't forget to take some before, during and after pictures!!!

It would be nice to see the transformation on this project.

David

Webmaster

Posted on 18 years ago

Hey Ken...

By all means get in touch if I can be of service! I restored an entire 1965 Rogers Buddy Rich Celebrity kit complete with all correct hardware, etc. I have a very good feel/knowledge base for what's what with Rogers... Besides,

Owning two complete Rogers kits... ( BOTH BR kits! )... and 7 different Rogers snare drums, well, I guess you could say I like 'em! :-)

If my email isn't shown, you can contact our most gracious host/webmaster, David, and he can supply it to you. And,

As David has suggested, a photo documentation would be excellent!

Tommyp

Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here