Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 131.66597%

Wiggle Room

Here is the reply I got from an Ebay seller of many cymbals when I asked what "Hollow Logo" meant.........

"As we researched to identify these, we came across more than one reference that made mention of the characteristic of this logo. You would need to find some authority on Zildjian to learn what if anything a particular logo characteristic implies."

The question was spawned by the response I received from Drumaholic in this thread where I was asking about verification of some Zildjian A stamps on Ebay ....

( Drumaholic ) .... "Very few, and I mean only a very small handful, of those making claims of dates based on trademark characteristics on eBay has even the slightest idea of what they are talking about."

And, when I asked Drumaholic what source I could use to do my own research, the reply was....

( Drumaholic ) .... "Unfortunately there is currently no authoritative guide available for identifying and dating cymbal trademarks that can be used to further your research."

The previously mentioned Ebay seller's "Wiggle Room" / "non- response-type- response" to my Hollow Logo question lends much credence to Drumaholics statements in my book. There are many very wise veterans in this Forum which are always quick to share their knowledge with we less-seasoned members, and he is certainly one of those....

Thank-you so very much

Kevin
Posted on 15 years ago

Yeah, I find it interesting that even Zildjian says that there isn't an official way to properly date their cymbals prior to the 80's or 90's! Thankfully, there are a few people here who own enough cymbals, or have been observant in their hobby to contribute to an unofficial tracking and dating of cymbals. It's true that usually you can't be exact, but with some help and a little research, you ca usually get close!

1961 Ludwig Super Classic 22,13,16,18, WFL BR Snare WMP
1951-52 Slingerland Radio King Krupa Outfit 24,13,16 Champagne Sparkle
1960s/70s Polaris MIJ 20,12,16 Red Sparkle
2005 Gretsch Catalina Club WMP First Run
2008 Pearl Masters MCX 20,10,12,14f,16f & 14 Diamond Glitter
1999 Yamaha Stage Custom 22,10,12,14r,16f. Marina Green

...& many more...
Posted on 15 years ago

Nice well earned salute to the cymbal man. Good stuff, Kevin.

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]You can get pretty close based on stamp and ink stamp, actually...I mean usuallly w/i a 4 or 5-year period.

i.e. "early '60's". "late '50's", "early '70's", etc....the stamps changed in size and style from time to time. Also, once your eyes get keener, you can see how the actual craftsmanship of the particular cymbal changed, too...lathing, hammering, bell, bow, profile, etc....[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

From Jaye

[COLOR="DarkRed"]

Also, once your eyes get keener, you can see how the actual craftsmanship of the particular cymbal changed, too...lathing, hammering, bell, bow, profile, etc....
[/COLOR]

That darn virtue ... Patience ..... Here's my current level......

1 attachments
Kevin
Posted on 15 years ago

Dude! If that's you, that's a massive set of hats!

Posted on 15 years ago

got 'em on[SIZE="7"]EBAY[/SIZE]

Kevin
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here