Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.26722%

Which way for a China???

Recently got a nice China in a trade, first ever. This may sound dumb but do you play it bell up or bell down? It is pretty thin and I think if you play it bell up the edge could get beat up very easily. It sounds cool and I like the challenge of incorporating it into my setup.

Posted on 13 years ago

Lucky, they are meant to be played bell upside down! with the flared edges of the cymbal facing you the player! here's a wuhan video to demonstrate! [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFwgVHJ_zGY&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 13 years ago

..use it as a ride?? bell up.....

R

Posted on 13 years ago

Thanks V2K, a ride??? It is only a 17"er, will give it a go.

Posted on 13 years ago

Whichever way sounds best.

I have a 20" 2002 with rivets that I usually play bell up so I can ride it. It also gives a mellow crash that way. It goes upside down when I want to get medieval.

My main China is an 18" HHX prototype that I mount upside down. It's the best China I've ever heard and it's like a gong if I use mallets.

9x Slingerland New Rock 50N 12-13-16-22 with 170 (Super S-O-M) holder
• 1979 Oak
• 1978 Blakrome + 6.5x14 TDR SD
• 1977 Black Diamond Pearl + 5x14 SD (gold badge, Rapid strainer)
• 1976 Black Cordova
• 1975 Silver Sparkle + 5x14 SD (Rapid strainer)
• 1974 Chrome + 5x14 COB TDR and 6.5x14 COW Zoomatic SDs
• 1973 Purple Sparkle
• 1973 Phantom (clear)
• 1971 Walnut (gold badges) + 5x14 TDR SD
1x Rogers Powertone Londoner V 12-13-16-22
• 1972 Butcher Block + 1979 big R Dynasonic SD
Posted on 13 years ago

Personally, I use both. When i'm playing a trashy china say, a Wuhan, I will mount it bell down. It will get hard hits, because of the sound that suits a certain style, and for that reason I won't want to put it right side up. The combination of a thin cymbal, the sharp flange of a china cymbal, and hard hitting just doesn't work. Bye bye cymbal, bye bye sticks. If i'm playing a more washy, crashy, non-trashy type cymbal, let's say your tipical zildjian or paiste china, I will mount it bell up, and use it as more of a crash ride than a sharp accent cymbal. Since they are much heavier and I don't hit them very hard that position really suits the cymbal in my playing. In my case there's a reason for wich way I mount my cymbals, I don't just pick a way that looks the coolest or the most popular. However you wish to mount them thats fine, but keep in mind that if you mount a china bell up, don't bash it unless it's as thick as a brick and you can afford to replace it, and many pairs of chopped up sticks!Violin

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here