Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 131.66597%

Which NEW cymbals are closest to the nice OLD ones?

I was fortunate enough to get a set of the Avedis Zildjian & Cie. "Vintage" cymbals when they were around a few years ago. I purchased them for a friend to be used in his recording studio. The studio shut down and I got the cymbals! Not bad, eh? :)

Anyway, they are really nice, NICE sounding and feeling cymbals to play. I think they sound like the earlier Avedis Zildjians.

I was wondering if there were any other new cymbals that kind of reflect the old sounds and feels.

We all know that the really nice OLD cymbals are going for a mint these days -IF you can find one....and IF you can get the owner to part with it.

What NEW cymbals can I walk in and expect to consistently sound good? Anything?

Burger Kin

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 14 years ago

Bosphorus, Istanbul, Masterwork, Dream

Posted on 14 years ago

If you can get 'em....Sabian Prototypes with high density hammering are oh so sweet and oh so old. They are very hard to come by, but if you manage to get your hands on some, ... wow. I'm not talking about just any old Prototype from Sabian. These are the seriously high density hammered discs that really sing out in that deep dark rustic voice from eons ago. Even the bells are hammered out. Worth the quest.

Posted on 14 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]To the above I will add Meinl Byzance and Amuns. Hand hammered B20's and B8's, respectively.

I believe the discontinued the Amuns....which would be a shame, because they were the best B8 cymbals ever made.

I would also like to give my 2 cents regarding Dream/Bliss cymbals. For the money, they are respectably good. They do manage to capture some of the qualities of old, handcrafted cymbals. But in other respects, they are only so-so.

I would say the Istys, Bos's, Masterworks, Sabian HH's and Meinls are all better....but again, they are also all much more expensive....

[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 14 years ago

totally forgot about the Meinl Byzance. I have a Meinl Byzance 20 Jazz Ride and absolutely LOVE that ride. It's thin enough to really open up and crash, but still has a nice soft ping. Outstanding ride. Thanks, Jaye...for reminding me of one of my favorite rides. I haven't been able to play for about a month now and I literally forgot I had it. Dang.

Posted on 14 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]sweeeeeeeeeeeeet........[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 14 years ago

Anyone have any experience with TRX? Another hand hammered turkish company. I see them popping up on the bay every now and then, but I've never been able to find one locally to play.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here