Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 133.46973%

When is a cymbal classed as vintage?

Hi guys. Just a quick question. What is the threshold in years that defines a cymbal as being vintage? 20 years old?

Posted on 7 years ago

From Merlin5

Hi guys. Just a quick question. What is the threshold in years that defines a cymbal as being vintage? 20 years old?

Good question,

In my heart, I would say 70s & older..

But I'm getting older...so the usually 25yrs..(to make it a vintage item) really only puts us back to the early 90s..lol

I'm sure the Zen will write a blog on this.

Bop iT / Til U Drop iT.

ROGER's
1964 Cleveland,.18/14/12 in WMP
1966 Cleveland, 20/14/12 O'natural.
Fullerton,...20/16/13/12 Silver Glass

WFL
1957 B/R Super Classics In WMP

Snares..
Wood & COB Powertones,
Wood & COB Dynasonics,
57 Jazz Festival

Zildjian avedis cymbals.
40s/60s era.
Posted on 7 years ago

From Merlin5

Its more complicated then just age. For many of us, most cymbals made in the past 35 years or so just don't have the same sound quality as cymbals made prior to the '80s. Vintage means more than just old. It refers to special items of high quality or high interest. While technically, a 27 year old 1990 Toyota Corolla would be eligible for Historic plates and may have been a good car, I doubt many people would think of one as vintage.

Mark
BosLover
Posted on 7 years ago

Thanks for the replies. As an example, I was thinking about one of my older rides, a 20" K Custom Dry I bought new around 1995. There are brand new versions of this model with the newer style Zildjian labelling that looks like calligraphy handwriting. On mine, it's just old style straight forward uppercase letters saying CUSTOM DRY'. I'm not sure if they stopped this model and reintroduced it or if it's always been in production. But if I wanted to sell it (which I don't at the moment as I've reignited some interest in it again), I was wondering if it could be considered as vintage. Maybe the sound quality of mine could be different from the newer one, perhaps better or worse.

Posted on 7 years ago

When you understand the reason behind a vintage pie it's about aging that's what defines a vintage pie

April 2nd 1969 scarfed pink champagne holly wood and 65/66 downbeat snare, and , supra same year very minty kit old pies
66/67 downbeat with canister
Super 400 small round knob
1967 super classic obp

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family.
Posted on 7 years ago

From jaghog

When you understand the reason behind a vintage pie it's about aging that's what defines a vintage pie

If I'm understanding you correctly about aging, are you saying a cymbal's sound has to evolve and improve over years like a good wine, due to things like patina to be considered vintage?

Posted on 7 years ago

I'm quite likely out of touch, but when I think "vintage cymbal," my brain is hard coded to not consider anything past the 70s. Cymbals from the 20s through the 60s are the prime specimens for me, with special emphasis on 40s through 60s.

12/14/20 Mahogany INDe Bop Cocktail Hybrid

Late 50s Black Nitron 3 Ply Gretsch 13/16/20 w/ Max Roach Snare
Posted on 7 years ago

The word "vintage" is probably one of the most overused terms on ebay, or anywhere for that matter. It's used to refer to something that's just old. To say something is "vintage", it's saying that it's contemporaneous with other things from a particular year or time frame. The word used refer to wine (from whatever year) but has been expanded to mean just about anything.

Posted on 7 years ago

I am , it is also the material and quality of the craftsman ship ...

April 2nd 1969 scarfed pink champagne holly wood and 65/66 downbeat snare, and , supra same year very minty kit old pies
66/67 downbeat with canister
Super 400 small round knob
1967 super classic obp

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family.
Posted on 7 years ago

From jaghog

I am , it is also the material and quality of the craftsman ship ...

That's interesting, I didn't realise that. I just looked up the definition of the word.

'Vintage:

The time that something of quality was produced.

Denoting something from the past of high quality, especially something representing the best of its kind.'

Posted on 7 years ago
Action Another action Something else here