Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.06681%

When do new cymbals become "stabilized"?

Hello. I mostly play Avedis Zildjian cymbals that I have had for decades. They are nothing special, just good old standard issue Zildjians.

A few years ago, I heard some of the then new Vintage line and bought a set. I really love them compared to other new cymbals. I guess these were aged in a vault for a long time or some kind of aging process was done to them??? I never really explored it.

But I have noticed that they have changed a little bit since I have been playing them. It's like they are going through phases of sounding really great and then phases of sounding kinda...meh. I have read that cymbals continue to age and realign their molecules over time...but...

How MUCH time before they don't change anymore? Do they ever truly stabilize? Or, will they continue to change forever?

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 14 years ago

i think they sort of climax and stay at that point for the rest of their days.

i just recently sold a set of new(er) Sabian Vaults.

i had them for three years and it wasn't until around the 2nd year that they really started to come into their own. it was like a botanist watching a flower bloom! flower

i'm sure the process is different for each cymbal.

it reminds me of wine. wine is aged accordingly for years..but the day you open it is the day its yours. and it would taste different had you have opened it on any other day. but if you open it before/after it peaks..you miss out on all that it has/had to offer.

but man..once the cymbals reach that point (or that sound) its a whole new loving/enjoying experience.

for me anyway!

Yes Sir

nashu.bandcamp.com
Posted on 14 years ago

It really depends on your method. I've always used mallets to loosen up my newer cymbals. I work them with mallets (hard and fast) for a while. I check 'em periodically to listen for the changes. After that, I play 'em. It's usually another couple of weeks to a couple of months for the final bit.

Posted on 14 years ago

Over on "that other site", there is a long, almost dissertation by one of todays' non-olive skinned cymbalsmiths that tells the story of aging, or playing in, the cymnbal, what stages it takes, and the changes that he thinks take place during this run in, and the consequences of allowing a new cymbal to go for far too long unplayed. It is a long, and at times boring, read, but the info is very revealing and a ton of great technique and other ideas to break-in and age your cymbals to perfection. It is well written and top-notch information, all designed to shed some light on the mysteries of the metal.

You may read this thought provoking thread here: http://www.cymbalholic.com/forums/showthread.php?40047-Bronze-cymbals-and-age&p=446650&highlight=#post446650

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here