Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.66806%

When did the bell hole get bigger?

Hey all. I have seen Trans Stamp Zildjians with "factory" larger (modern-sized) bell holes. I figured the bell hole got bigger before the 50s stamp came around. But now, I've recently acquired a cymbal with a 50s stamp and a small bell hole, so now I'm confused. When did the standard bell hole size change?

1970 Ludwig Downbeat
1965 Ludwig Hollywood
1970 Ludwig Jazzette
Posted on 11 years ago

I believe the holes got bigger in the early to mid 60s. I'm definitely not certain of that, I'll have to let someone else say for sure. I have seen a thread very recently in which the larger hole of a trans stamp, I think it was, was explained to have probably been enlarged many years ago and now appears to be factory.

There's my :2Cents:.

Lynn

I'm no guru, just a vintage drum junkie!

Psalm 150:5
1945 Slingerland RK sparkling gold pearl 26/13/14/16/early 50s 5.5x14 Krupa RK
1967 Slingerland green glass glitter 20/12/14/Hollywood Ace
60s Slingerland 24/13/16/7x14 project
24/13/16/7x14 project RKs
60s 5 & 6.5 Sound Kings
1942 7x14 WMP Krupa RK
1930s Slingerland Universal
1967 Ludwig Hollywood sparkling blue pearl 22/12/13/16
1967 Ludwig Supraphonic 400 & 402
1965 Ludwig Jazz Fest sparkling blue pearl
1923 Ludwig 5x14 NOB
Posted on 11 years ago

I have quite a few 50s stamp cymbals with the modern, larger size hole. My favorite era, in fact. Never saw a 50s cymbal with a small hole before, though. It's too bad there's no website with definitive information on this.

Anyone else have any insight?

1970 Ludwig Downbeat
1965 Ludwig Hollywood
1970 Ludwig Jazzette
Posted on 11 years ago

That's interesting! I may be off by a decade. ;)

Well, hopefully Drumaholic will chime in. He'll give us some definitive information.

Lynn

I'm no guru, just a vintage drum junkie!

Psalm 150:5
1945 Slingerland RK sparkling gold pearl 26/13/14/16/early 50s 5.5x14 Krupa RK
1967 Slingerland green glass glitter 20/12/14/Hollywood Ace
60s Slingerland 24/13/16/7x14 project
24/13/16/7x14 project RKs
60s 5 & 6.5 Sound Kings
1942 7x14 WMP Krupa RK
1930s Slingerland Universal
1967 Ludwig Hollywood sparkling blue pearl 22/12/13/16
1967 Ludwig Supraphonic 400 & 402
1965 Ludwig Jazz Fest sparkling blue pearl
1923 Ludwig 5x14 NOB
Posted on 11 years ago

From SlingerLynn

I believe the holes got bigger in the early to mid 60s. I'm definitely not certain of that, I'll have to let someone else say for sure. I have seen a thread very recently in which the larger hole of a trans stamp, I think it was, was explained to have probably been enlarged many years ago and now appears to be factory.There's my :2Cents:.Lynn

I agree, I'd be surprised if the larger holes in some trans stamps were factory drilled. If done well to start with, and after 50 + years of wear, the holes would be smooth and just look like factory produced. Not sure when the holes got bigger. I have 6 examples of the various 1950's large stamps, and some have smaller holes, and some larger, although even the smaller holes seem bigger than those on my trans stamps and old Ks. They may have been drilled by earlier owners or perhaps the factory was already transitioning to larger holes. To the best of my knowledge Istanbul K's had small holes to the very end. I have a newer New stamp from the mid-late '70s with a small hole. I have a earlier older New stamp from the late '60s with a large modern hole. I always assumed it was drilled after the fact to accommodate modern stands.

Mark
BosLover
Posted on 11 years ago

From caddywumpus

I have quite a few 50s stamp cymbals with the modern, larger size hole. My favorite era, in fact. Never saw a 50s cymbal with a small hole before, though. It's too bad there's no website with definitive information on this.Anyone else have any insight?

There's nothing definitve written on this subject for good reason. The bellhole size does not convey any useful, reliable, or definitive information on any era. So just as I always say whenever this topic comes up:

Just fa-get about it!

Posted on 11 years ago

From Drumaholic

There's nothing definitve written on this subject for good reason. The bellhole size does not convey any useful, reliable, or definitive information on any era. So just as I always say whenever this topic comes up:Just fa-get about it!

Does that mean that the large hole on my older New stamp could have been done at the factory ? That's only important to me because I'm selling it soon and don't want to deceive anyone if it was modified.

Mark
BosLover
Posted on 11 years ago

From Drumaholic

There's nothing definitve written on this subject for good reason. The bellhole size does not convey any useful, reliable, or definitive information on any era. So just as I always say whenever this topic comes up:Just fa-get about it!

Isn't this what us vintage guys are into, the minute details of the instruments of our passion? Having this question answered, no matter how insignificant, means something to some of us. Next time somebody asks if the throw off on a snare drum is period-correct, are you going to be dismissive of that, too? "Eh, a throw-off is a throw-off, so longs as it woiks. Fah-getta bottit!"

I'm just looking for some information that other people on this site might be able to provide, regarding a topic we come here to talk about. Thank you for your opinion on the matter, though.

1970 Ludwig Downbeat
1965 Ludwig Hollywood
1970 Ludwig Jazzette
Posted on 11 years ago

From BosLover

Does that mean that the large hole on my older New stamp could have been done at the factory ? That's only important to me because I'm selling it soon and don't want to deceive anyone if it was modified.

How big is it?

Posted on 11 years ago

From caddywumpus

Isn't this what us vintage guys are into, the minute details of the instruments of our passion? Having this question answered, no matter how insignificant, means something to some of us. Next time somebody asks if the throw off on a snare drum is period-correct, are you going to be dismissive of that, too? "Eh, a throw-off is a throw-off, so longs as it woiks. Fah-getta bottit!"I'm just looking for some information that other people on this site might be able to provide, regarding a topic we come here to talk about. Thank you for your opinion on the matter, though.

Then stick to trademarks. They actually tell you what you want to know much more reliably.

Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here