Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 131.66597%

When did Paiste stop making Black Label cymbals?

I have read that Paiste stopped making cymbals with the black labels on them in 1979 or 1980. The funny thing is that I just purchased a set of 14" Paiste black labeled Sound Edge hi-hats with the serial numbers on both cymbals starting with 81xxx. If my info is correct that would mean this set is from 1981.

When did they really stop with the black label?

Posted on 14 years ago

Does it have the crescent sun stamp on it?, but the original black lettered was discontinued mid 80's for the red lettered, but paiste did reissue the black lettered in the late 90's for a brief period, but it did not have the cresent sun stamped in it and was a bit different logo style,

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 14 years ago

From vintagemore2000

Does it have the crescent sun stamp on it?, but the original black lettered was discontinued mid 80's for the red lettered, but paiste did reissue the black lettered in the late 90's for a brief period, but it did not have the cresent sun stamped in it and was a bit different logo style,

I havn't gotten the cymbals yet. I was told the serial numbers over the phone. All I know is the serial numbers start with 81 and they are six digit numbers. Maybe I'm wrong about that meaning their from 1981?? This is a matching set also.

Posted on 14 years ago

Hi, If they are black ink labels, consecutive six digit numbers on each hat and are JUST numbers, no lettering above, then they are 1978 (last number is decade for these). Re-issue black label started in 2002 but are eight digit numbers. Please post a pic of these when you get them, I could use something to drool over:)

1968 Slingerland Red Sparkle
Posted on 14 years ago

From jimmyC

Hi, If they are black ink labels, consecutive six digit numbers on each hat and are JUST numbers, no lettering above, then they are 1978 (last number is decade for these). Re-issue black label started in 2002 but are eight digit numbers. Please post a pic of these when you get them, I could use something to drool over:)

As soon as they arrive I will post pics. They went out on 12-21-09 and are being shipped from IL to MI so I'm guessing I will have them by 12-23-09.

Thanks.

Posted on 14 years ago

Yes, they are 1978 not 1981!!!

Posted on 14 years ago

Ok I finally got the cymbals and man they are dirty but cleaning them is another topic.

I agree with everyone that they are from 1978. Cool!!!!

Here are some pics as bad as they may be.

The last pic shows the serial number of the top hat which reads 813813.

The bottom hat serial number (not pictured) reads 813814.

Paiste is not stamped in any form near the numbers.

Thanks for the help and let me know what you think.

4 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

Beautiful. Very nice set of hats. Paiste has a coating on their cymbals and it looks like most of it is still intact on those. My 2 cents would be to use the Paiste cymbal cleaner and protectant. It's really the best option, especially for B8 cymbals. You'll preserve what's left of the coating. B20 has such a nice patina but B8 isn't so nice.

Posted on 14 years ago

From the_drum_dad

Beautiful. Very nice set of hats. Paiste has a coating on their cymbals and it looks like most of it is still intact on those. My 2 cents would be to use the Paiste cymbal cleaner and protectant. It's really the best option, especially for B8 cymbals. You'll preserve what's left of the coating. B20 has such a nice patina but B8 isn't so nice.

Thanks for the advice. The underside of the top hat has a lot of green all over it. Do you still recommend the same cleaner to remove it? Or is it hard to get off. I assume you know what I mean when I say green. I think it is the patina you are referring to or is it considered tarnished? I didn't take a pic of it but there are green streaks all over.

Posted on 14 years ago

Hey! Very nice score! Cool1 Congrats! I would also recommend only using Paiste cleaner and protectant. DO NOT RUB hard. A little baking soda/water paste applied with your finger can be used for the green spots. Experiment with a small area first and use plenty of water to rinse. The coating is much more important to preserve IMHO. If you need super shiny cymbals, get some brand new ones ;)

Enjoy and thanks for the pics!

1968 Slingerland Red Sparkle
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here