Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.66806%

What's the difference between these 2 New Beat Hi-Hat Bottoms?

I came across this interesting combo via a craigslist post that listed them as 15" New Beat Hi Hats. The price was defiantly right and I have set of 14" NB's and love em' so what would a set of 15" New Beats hurt? When I got there I just played them that for me is the most important how do they feel and how do they sound, I don't do a whole lot of inspecting other than the basic checking for keyholes, cracks ect. They sounded good but did not really have the qualities my 14's have at all they were heavy, but good. I figure the price is great I may not use these for every gig but they are unique sounding and I instantly got a Tony Williams/Steve Gadd heavy hat vibe from them so that was enough for me to move forward. Once I got them home that's when I started looking at them more carefully. I figured they were both 70's era off the bat from the stamp but as I looked into the inside of the cymbal I noticed that they were both stamped "Bottom New Beat Hi Hat"..Now I know many drummers out there use bottom on top, bottom on bottom, and it's all about the sound but what's weirding me out is if they are both 15" NB's BOTTOMS why is the lathing so different and hammering looks different as well. It doesn't look like hand hammering but is there a chance one is a late 50's/60's? I don't think they were labeling hats as New Beats until late 60's if I'm not mistaken Hi hats were more or less put together by weight. Anyways, I'll throw it to pros for some help pictures of course are below. I apologized for not having the weights off hand I just don't have them with me at this moment. PS I do have one up for trade if anyone wishes to trade a top for a bottom hat again two bottoms don't sound bad just not my taste.

Posted on 12 years ago

odd, one has more prevalent hammering then the other does and the stamps are identical...wonder if its lighting?

Do yourself a favor, find a paper thin 15" top and play it with both bottoms before letting one go.

I did this recently and LOVE the sound.

Posted on 12 years ago

Very good point! I'd love a nice thin top hat to go with one of these heavy bottoms. It's not the lighting the hammering is that different which is what's most confusing..

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here