Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.26722%

What year are the very first Istanbul brand cymbals?

I have a 1112g Pre Split "Stencil" logo 16" Thin Crash Istanbul I just picked up recently,and am wondering the vintage......

Very early 80's is my guess,but don't know for sure..........Bill?

Blair

"Always make sure your front bottom BD lugs clear the ground!"
Posted on 13 years ago

From blairndrums

I have a 1112g Pre Split "Stencil" logo 16" Thin Crash Istanbul I just picked up recently,and am wondering the vintage......Very early 80's is my guess,but don't know for sure..........Bill?Blair

Very early 1980's. '82, '83, around then.

Posted on 13 years ago

Thanks Bill!

Posted on 13 years ago

Weren't the Mel Lewis ones the first?

Posted on 13 years ago

I had a Mel 21" Pre Split once.......It had "Handmade cymbals from Turkey" on it at the top.

mine is where they actually took a stencil,placed it over the cymbal,then spray painted black paint over the stencil!

Also,the Istanbul logo is at the bottom of the cymbal (front and back side),not at the top like later ones,and thats all it says! > Istanbul........No "Handmade cymbals from Turkey"

It does have Agop's and Memhet's sigs on the back side though and Thin Crash 16" in green at the top.

Posted on 13 years ago

[COLOR="Indigo"]Trick question ! ....before they were called Istanbul, they called themselves Zilciler.

I believe the very FIRST ones were actually logoe'd Zilciler in Arabic characters, then soonafter in english.

On the punched stamp, you can still see them reading Zilciler....

The (apocryphal) story goes that Zildjian had a cow and threatened them, so they changed the name to Istanbul.[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 13 years ago

well go figure..their new line is called 30 th anniversary....Walking

they ll make em this year and maby next,,go get em...

R

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here