Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.46764%

What was he thinking?

Got this Paiste 2002 top hi-hat yesterday when i bought another old kit.

-Seller told me it was a crappy Paiste crash, that had broken the first week he used it DOH.

Well,well, if he hadn't been so stupid, this would still have been a great cymbal. -makes me sad.

/Johan M

1 attachments
70's Slingerland, 13,14,18,24" Copper wrap
70's Pearl Wood/fiberglass 12,13,13,14,16,18,22,24" Red
70's Pearl Fiberglass shells 12,13,16, 22" White
70's Hayman, 13,14,16,22" Black
60's Hoshino, 13,16,20" WMP
2009 Ludwig element, 10,12,13,16,22" Orange
Posted on 12 years ago

This could have happened from a bad fall while on the stand.

Posted on 12 years ago

You may be able to repair it and still get good use out of it. It can be brazed (soldered/welded) and a grommet added for strength.

The last few years there seem to be a rash of broken or cracked cymbals floating around lately, poor technique or low quality metals?

Posted on 12 years ago

From JRichard

You may be able to repair it and still get good use out of it. It can be brazed (soldered/welded) and a grommet added for strength.

Is it safe to braze/solder/weld B8? I know for B20 the recommended thing is to avoid heat (in case of losing the tempering) and glue a grommet on using JB Weld instead. But I don't know B8, so I'd be interested to hear.

From JRichard

The last few years there seem to be a rash of broken or cracked cymbals floating around lately, poor technique or low quality metals?

The quality of metals hasn't changed for the big 3 manufacturers. That's been stable for years. If you are talking Chinese or Turkish I'm not so sure about stability of alloys.

I wouldn't know about the frequency of poor technique among players increasing. Not saying "no", just how would you know and why would the frequency have increased?

Maybe more information on how to repair them (thanks internet) is a contributing factor to their being more of a market? And maybe eBay makes the sale of broken cymbals more visible?

Posted on 12 years ago

2002's are pretty tough. I cracked a few 2002 16" crashes in my rock n roll days. However the hats are fairly indestructible, imho. But that damage looks like the result of putting a small cymbal on a stand too tight and then hitting it really hard. Not smart . . . .

Home Of The Trout
YouTube Channel
Posted on 12 years ago

I've read more than a few posts on various drum forums where guys talk about how this cymbal cracked or that cymbal chipped, etc and seeing the pile of cracked cymbals on Ebay http://www.ebay.com/dsc/i.html?_nkw=cracked+cymbal&_sacat=0&_odkw=cracked+cymbals&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313&LH_TitleDesc=1 (varies from month to month) leads me to beleive there is a problem, either in materials (as you state the materials have been consistant) or poor technique.

On Brazing, check over at Cymbalholics, they would be able to give you more info. I was just making a suggestion, it may not be possible.

Posted on 12 years ago

Cymbals are kinda like tires. Some tires eventually blowout; some cymbals eventually crack. Misuse them and it happens sooner.

I just wish tires got better with age when properly cared for.

Posted on 12 years ago

Tires getting better with age. That's a great thought. I could do with that too!

Posted on 12 years ago

Cymbals crack because of POOR TECHNIQUE, or falling, both results from clumsiness.

Posted on 12 years ago

Had a cymbal crack one time ,..couldn`t take the pressure of stage fright,... dove right into the croud and hasn`t been seen since !!

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here