Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.26722%

What to use for bottom hi-hat (getting some K Istanbul 15" hi hats)

Hey guys,

Need your advice...

I'm buying some K Istanbul 15" hi hats (intermediate stamp). Those things aren't cheap. The weights are just over 1000 grams on one, and around 1060 grams for the other. Anyways, I'm planning on just using one for the top hat cymbal, and pairing it up with a heavier bottom cymbal of some sort, to have a good chick sound.

My question is, would a vintage Zildjian "A" sound okay for the bottom cymbal? I have some 1950s "A" hats that weigh 1295 grams and 1400 grams. I could use one of those I'm sure, but I'm wondering if that "A" would brighten things up too much for jazz. Or would it be darker/jazzier if I were to pair this up with a bottom hat modern K, that weighs around 1400 grams instead?

Any thoughts? My tastes are more post modern (Tony, Elvin, Jack, etc), so that is more of the sound that I'm drawn towards...and I know that Tony began using 15" hats in late 1960s...

Posted on 13 years ago

Just play them and YOU decide what sounds best........

Have faith in your ears.........

I have paired strays for years,and have come up with some AMAZING sounding hats that way.

"Always make sure your front bottom BD lugs clear the ground!"
Posted on 13 years ago

try a real heavy zildijian custom for bottom it mite be a good combo

April 2nd 1969 scarfed pink champagne holly wood and 65/66 downbeat snare, and , supra same year very minty kit old pies
66/67 downbeat with canister
Super 400 small round knob
1967 super classic obp

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family.
Posted on 13 years ago

The vintage guru at my local music shop was telling me how he actually prefers a medium heavy zildjian Z bottom under a K for a good sound.

1980's Sonor Phonics 6 piece

24x14, 13x9, 14x10, 15x12, 16x14, 14x6.5

www.facebook.com/KillonSight518hxc

www.youtube.com/troycorefam518

[url]www.reverbnation.com/killonsight518
Posted on 13 years ago

Lots of combos work, even different sizes.... the journey is lots of fun too.

Kevin
Posted on 13 years ago

If you want a vintage sound consider trying them out "as is" before you make an investment in another bottom cymbal. Back in the day they didn't sell matched sets with heavy bottom cymbals. Thats a modern approach. My favorite pair of jazz hats is from the '50s. The bottom cymbal is only slightly heavier than the top one and they sound great to my ears. If you do decide you want a stronger "chic" instead of possiblly a "chuff", I strongly recommend you match them up in person. If you buy something online you will not know if the combo doesn't work well until it too late.

Mark
BosLover
Posted on 13 years ago

While we are on the subject, do you tilt the bottom hat or not?

No amount of planning will ever replace dumb luck.
Posted on 13 years ago

From Allen Bamm

While we are on the subject, do you tilt the bottom hat or not?

Not sure who you were directing this too, but I do. When I started playing as a kid in the early '60's few sock pedals had bottom cymbal tilters. You usually had to improvise by adding a very thin layer of felt underneath the bottom washer on just one side to tilt the cymbal. Very hit or miss.

Mark
BosLover
Posted on 13 years ago

It was a general question for the masses.

I have always tilted mine but I wanted to hear from evryone.

No amount of planning will ever replace dumb luck.
Posted on 13 years ago

From Sonorforlife2000

The vintage guru at my local music shop was telling me how he actually prefers a medium heavy zildjian Z bottom under a K for a good sound.

Ah- the K/Z hi hat pair. Actually, I miss my old set of those, but not enough to go back to Zillys. I am a Paiste guy at heart...

This is definitely an exercise that needs to be performed in a real, live bricks and mortar store.

Yeah- I'm THAT guy!!!

Dead dogs like rusty fire hydrants!!!
Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here