Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 131.46555%

What ride on "Kind of Blue"?

Does anyone know what kind of ride Jimmy Cobb uses on the track "All Blues" off Miles Davis' "Kind of Blue" album. What a sound! That's the ride I'm looking for (and I 'm guessing I'm not alone). Can anyone recommend a cymbal in production that sounds similar? I'm willing to spend hundreds but not thousands.

To be able to play as slow as Al Jackson is almost impossible.
Charlie Watts
Posted on 16 years ago

From MacReverb2

Does anyone know what kind of ride Jimmy Cobb uses on the track "All Blues" off Miles Davis' "Kind of Blue" album. What a sound! That's the ride I'm looking for (and I 'm guessing I'm not alone). Can anyone recommend a cymbal in production that sounds similar? I'm willing to spend hundreds but not thousands.

What some other people had to say on the subject:

I saw Jimmy with Geri Allen and Wallace Roney at a small club here in NJ about 6 months ago..I sat about 5 feet away...and was able to get right up to the cymbals and examine them closely before Jimmy went on...He did about 85% of his riding on that 18" Old K on his left...Was an Old Stamp as near as I could tell, though the light was not great ...He seemed to use the 20" AZ( on his right) mostly for accents/crashes and almost like most of us would use a "left side ride" ....On Kind of Blue, I think we can count two or even three different ride cymbals. The "one" sound here - is Jimmy!So: I think we should clear which sounds we're talking about:- On "So What" we mostly hear cymbal 1, for now.- On "Freddie Freeloader"- I'd have to check - but I think it's mostly cymbal 2 -which I think can also be heard on "So What" during the 1st theme 8last also?), played with brushes.

- All Blues, from the second session, might be cymbal 3, or a different recorded sound of 1 (Discuss!)It becomes a kind of detective work, but I think we should be precise - otherwise it just gets confusing.Spent 2 hours 10 feet away from Jimmy Cobb at a Drum Master Class at Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville (30 minutes from St. Louis).

What a thrill. Some playing a lot of Q & A. Heard about his background from his start in Washington D.C. to when he got the call from Miles Davis at 6:00 P.M. to play in NYC that night (he was in Boston). He got to the gig about 10:30, set up and joined the band half way through Round Midnight. A lot of questions about comping, soloing, "swinging" etc. He was extremely warm and open.He brought his cymbals. His cymbals "of choice" are a very medium 60's 20" A. Zildjian, a 18" K. Istanbul ("Mel Lewis gave me the K to borrow. He said I could have it when he died. I guess it's mine now".) and pair of 14" A. Zildjian hi hats. He just got a gold plated kit from DW. A Small Group Masters Class late tomorrow afternoon and a concert with the SIU-E faculty including Tom Kennedy (bass player for Dave Weckl) at 7:00 P.M. tomorrow. Open to the public.

So it was an old K.

Is there anything currently in production that sounds like that?

No.

Posted on 16 years ago

And this is one of Jimmy Cobb's cymbals:

[img]http://photos.imageevent.com/drumaholic/constantinople/websize/19in-J.Cobb.jpg[/img]

[font=times new roman][size=+1][color=red]Click on sound file:[/color][/size][/font]

Jimmy Cobb's 19" K. old stamp

Posted on 16 years ago

Yee-ha ! Bill (drumaholic) covered those bases all the way ! (Excellent work, as always, Bill man !)

Just for the record, I've been enjoying noodling on a buddy's set and playing his 20" Dream Bliss ride.

Man, I can't tell ya how much that Chinese pie sounds like an old K. In fact, when their bass player started layin' down "All Blues," I mellowed out and just put my stick to that Bliss and closed my eyes...

Sounded damned close to the sound I was remembering from the recording of Jimmy Cobb's beautiful old K.

No ****, man ! Those Dream Bliss cymbals, as inexpensive as they are, are actually amazing !

Dig it !

Posted on 15 years ago

Heck yeah... I've been preaching the Dream Bliss line since I picked up a 22" about 8 months ago. I wouldn't compare it to a vintage K myself, as I have little or no experience with old K's, but they are sweet cymbals in their own right.

These things are alive. As you play around the pie, you are rewarded with great variations in sound. If you're looking for a one dimensional ride, then stay away from these. Trashy, washy, dark, dynamic and complex would be my personal description. They also make great crash cymbals as well. Try crashing a 22" A Zildjian!! Yuck.

That said, they are NOT a do-it-all cymbal. They are not really suited to heavy playing (as in hard rock), but work well for lighter rock, blues, jazz or any other style where a distinct *ping* is not what you're looking for.

Also, unlike most of todays stamped out, machine hammered pies, each Dream is different. Set up three 22" side by side and you will hear 3 different cymbals. They all have similar characteristics, but each has it's own unique pitch, tone and response.

Okay... sorry for the hijack. Back to the discussion at hand.

Vintage Snares Vintage Kits
Posted on 15 years ago

Amen to that, Big Daddy. I'm gonna get myself a 22" before everyone catches on and the prices start climbing.

Dig it !

Posted on 15 years ago

Does anyone know how much an 18" or 19" vintage K istanbul would cost to buy now?

Posted on 15 years ago

Depends a lot on whether its a new stamp or an old stamp.

Posted on 15 years ago

Ive recently just descovered i have a late 1940's 19" vintage K cymbal that was given to me by an old drummer 10 years ago, i didnt know what it was at the time. How much do they usually go for in excellent condition?

Posted on 15 years ago

If you can show me a photo of the trademark and give me a weight, I can give you a pretty good idea.

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here