Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.66806%

What is this, how to remove? (pics)

I picked up this vintage UFIP 20" ride, could not pass it up, I have seen this on other vintage cymbals, I wondered what causes this to happen? and what if anything can be done to remove it? Looks like tarnish spots, maybe someone here can help. see pics.

2 attachments
Lots of Slingerland drums
70's Pearl Fiberglass Ivory
Posted on 12 years ago

Tarnish can occur in one of 3 ways. 1) a slow natural general chemical reaction of the alloy with surrounding elements , mostly oxygen and sulphur. 2) a more rapid localized chemical reaction of the alloy due to a corrosive substance coming in contact with the alloy. 3) a localized slow to moderate chemical reaction of a specific section of the alloy that is imperfectly blended or has impure inclusions.

The first picture looks to me like a drop of something corrosive has, preferentially attacked the copper. The rusty looking brown stain is a primary stage of copper oxidation, the more green areas are caused by longer contact with the oxidizing agent. Kind of looks like something landed on it and then the drop ran. Where it landed sustained minimal oxidation but where the drop settled to and crystallized , there was continued lengthy corrosion until the substance was exhausted-----with some bleeding of the reaction around the perimeter.

The other might have the same origin but with a smaller amount of material that didn't run so much.

Groove juice will take a good deal of this away, with likely some pitting and a general loss of the cymbals built up patina. Spot treating will look just like spot treating.

Posted on 12 years ago

Now thats about as detailed of an explanation as one could ask for, I'll try the grove juice. I believe its acid based no?

Lots of Slingerland drums
70's Pearl Fiberglass Ivory
Posted on 12 years ago

Not sure , but it would seem so. The only problem I encountered was that it needs to be removed almost immediately. I spread it smoothly , then rinse it off quickly .

Posted on 12 years ago

I often wonder if this is caused by bodily fluids emitted while playing such as sweat, blood or blister fluid from the hands. It sounds nasty but it happens. I have an A mini cup ride that I got used and it has the green crud on it and the pattern is consistent with something squirting on it. We as humans can be rather corrosive to metals too. Just a possibility.

1981 Slingerland Magnum 8pc Pewter Silk
1971 Slingerland Avante 60N Lavender Satin Flame
1976/7 Ludwig Vistalite 5pc Yellow
1980's Ludwig Rocker 5pc Black
2004 Gretsch Catalina Birch Caribbean Blue
1998 Noble & Cooley Alloy Classic 14X4.75
1922 Bower Snare
Posted on 12 years ago

Looks to me as stated above that it started with a big drop of sweat. Some folks ph is very acidic. Mix up a teaspoon of baking soda in a few inches of water in a glass and dab some on the spot with a q tip or napkin. If it is acidic the baking soda water will neutralize it. (it will foam up) The same solution will also clean up corroded battery terminals and the mess caused by too old batteries left in electronic devices.

Believe it or else!
Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here