Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 133.26931%

What is this cymbal?

I feel like a newbie here, because I believe this is my first post in the Vintage Cymbals threads. Here goes...

I found this dirty, ugly cymbal in a local used instrument shop. Not knowing anything about it, but liking its trashy effect, I shelled out the $5 for it. The stamped logo reads "Zyn, Made in England". It's a fairly thin 13" drilled for only 4 rivets, and the original rivets are intact.

My questions are: How old? Who made Zyn? Could this have been intended as a sizzle High Hat cymbal? Any info would be appreciated.

[Attachment: 97419] [Attachment: 97420]

Mike

2 attachments
-No Guru... still learning more every day-
Posted on 8 years ago

Zyn were cheap british cymbals in the 50s and 60s, AFAIK.

Later, they moved on to higher quality alloys and manufacturing as Super Zyns, and those were pretty good. I have one "5 star" Super Zyn crash. It's not very sensitive, but it's very good in louder setting. Very dark, K-like.

Sysl krysu nenahradi!

-196?-72 6ply White Oyster Amati
-1960s 3ply Red Sparkle Amati
- Zildjian, Paiste, Zyn, Istanbul

http://bandzone.cz/blueswan
Posted on 8 years ago

Gilnar,

Thanks for the info. I thought it might be a very cheap or entry-level cymbal, but it's still interesting. One more sound effect in my cymbal arsenal.

Mike

-No Guru... still learning more every day-
Posted on 8 years ago

Ringo actually used a super Zyn for Beatles stuff

Posted on 8 years ago

From Wikki!

Zyn cymbals were introduced by Premier in 1950 and marketed as an affordable cymbal. They were made of nickel-silver alloy and could be ordered with 'Olympic' drum kits. Pairs of 'Heavy' Zyn cymbals were available for concert music.

The professional-grade Super Zyn range followed in 1951, realised in B20 alloy. According to Cymbals Today (a contemporary promotional material published by Premier), these instruments were endorsed by a number of professional jazz drummers, such as Ray Ellington and Eric Delaney.[5] Sizes available were 12 inches through 24 inches and in thin, medium-thin, medium or heavy weights.[6] Pairs of heavy cymbals were available in 14, 15 and 16 inch sizes for concert orchestra.

The 5 Star Super Zyn range was announced in 1968, replacing the Super Zyn as Premier's professional-grade cymbal. Like their predecessors, these cymbals were also made of B20 alloy. However, their build was thicker and heavier - similar to the heavy-weight Super Zyns - reflecting contemporary trends in popular music, where denser cymbals were required to meet the increasing volume of amplified instruments. The range began with a 12-inch cymbal, while hi-hats could be specified in 13, 14 or 15 inch pairs. 16, 18, 20 and 22 inch cymbals were all available as a ride, crash, or crash-ride. 'Sizzle' cymbals (fitted with rivets) could be ordered in 18 and 20 inch sizes. Orchestral cymbals were available in 14, 15 and 16 inch pairs.

There was also a budget alternative to the 5 Star Super Zyn, called the 2 Star Super Zyn.

Production of all Zyn types concluded in 1984, replaced by Premier's expanding distribution of Zildjian cymbals. However, the name has since been revived on two occasions, with a German-made Zyn (subtilted 'Made in Germany') appearing in the late 1990s. Unlike previous Zyn cymbals, the logo was now stencilled onto the cymbal, as opposed to being stamped into it. The range consisted of 14 inch hi-hats, 16 and 18 inch 'Crash' cymbals, plus a 20-inch 'Medium Ride'.

To date, the most recent reintroduction by Premier was in 2006; the new Zyn was machine-hammered B20 alloy, while the new Super Zyn was combination hand- and machine-hammered B20 alloy. Both were made in China.[7] As with past Zyns, paired cymbals were available for concert orchestra and marching bands. The revival was brief and the cymbals are no longer produced.

There are also some ones stamped Zyn standard quality, I think these are the really old 1940's ones and are B10 alloy.

I now have a large collection of Super Zyn and 5 stars and they are all pretty good but the ones stamped just Zyn and the 2 stars are nickel silver and tend to sound quite trashy.

Posted on 8 years ago
Action Another action Something else here