Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

wfl floor tom not resonating

hi all, I am new to this site and was hoping someone could answer a question. I have a late 50's wfl floor tom that sounds great when it is off the legs, like resting on my knee, but when I put it down on the floor it loses all of the deep booming sound and almost sounds muffled. is there any way of fixing this while still keeping the nice original vintage look of the set?

Posted on 15 years ago

Yes. It's a common problem and it has to do with how the old legs "grounded" the shell. It can be "fixed" by simply setting the drum on a few pieces of foam padding -like the kind used in upholstery. Just cut out a few 4" squares and set them under the floor tom legs.

There is a "dressier" version of this from Pearl. They are called "Air Lift" rubber tips for the legs. They simply replace the vintage rubber tips and they are not a permanent alteration at all. I don't think they cost that much, but you may have to specify a certain diameter for the vintage legs.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 15 years ago

I was having that problem with my 14x14 slingy. I bought the legs that came with the tips, $35 from Sam Ash in the thinner vintage size. Brought my tom up a little higher which I needed and they actually worked!

Posted on 15 years ago

I've used the Pearl tips for years. They are UNBEELEEVABLE!!! They really work...and really work well. Obviously, they don't look vintage. That goes without saying. But if you want your floor tom to sing out more, this is the way to go.

Posted on 15 years ago

+1 on the Pearle air lifts.

Posted on 15 years ago

Hi there, Ivar !

+2 for the Pearl rubber feet. You can order them in a pack of three - Pearl part number referrence R-40/3

You're experiencing exactly why drum makers quickly stopped using straight floor tom legs.

The transferrence of energy from the tom goes straight to the floor at the speed of sound. Angled legs break that transferrence, as well as adding a more stable stance.

The Pearl rubber isolation feet on angled legs will detract from the purity of an all-vintage look, but that drum will perform at its maximum best. Even straight legs with those Pearl feet, and you'll be amazed. I use 'em on my '66 Gretsch round badge floor tom, and on my '04 Gretsch USA Custom floor tom.

Groove on, brother !

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Interesting thing I have noticed also is that this happens more often with straight legs, as opposed to bent ones.

Also...if you try it on different floor surfaces, the sound will be different. Try it on hardwood or a hard surface, I bet it sounds like sh#t. Put it on a carpt, and all of the sudden it sounds much better. Interesting phenom....[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

That's because the carpet acts like the foam or the air lifts to "disconnect" it slightly from solid ground.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 15 years ago

Funny story:

I've used the Pearl tips for years on my Masters Mahogany kit, so I was familiar with 'em. I popped a set on a Gretsch kit thinking I knew what to expect. I was set up on a wooden platform of a stage (read - not too sturdy) and I chased that bouncing floor tom for the first two songs. It literally bounced a good 3 inches every time I swatted it with a stick. I had to stop after the second song and quickly shove a couple of drum bags and cases around it. Cracks me up now...wasn't smiling then, though.

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here