Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 133.46973%

Vintage Zildjian Hi hat identification

I got these hi hats a few months ago and love the sound. I am curious what date they are? When I looked at the stamps closer I noticed they look different. One of them is a very light stamp....any idea when each hat was from? thanks!

3 attachments
Posted on 6 years ago

Looks to me like the one on the left is an example of

[img]http://black.net.nz/avedis/images/22-3482-later60s-ruler.jpg[/img]

and the one on the right is an example of

[img]http://black.net.nz/avedis/images/pseudo-HB-60s.jpg[/img]

If you measure the full height of the stamp (to where the top and bottom would be if it were pressed in fully) the one on the left may be taller (1.5") and the one on the right shorter (1 3/16"). Or they could be the same height. They might be the same die but a pressing with two different force settings. I'm still gathering observations on how variable different pressings of the same die are. Obviously if they are quite different in height they are different dies. But if they are the same height and only vary slightly in how different portions of different letters are pressed in? Not so clear cut.

Are the two hats about the same weight? Or is one heavier like New Beats tend to be?

Posted on 6 years ago

The top hat is 830 and the bottom hat is 1260.

The stamps appear to be the same height but the one didn't get stamped very good/hard.

Posted on 6 years ago

Thanks for that info. So yes, New Beat weight ratio. My favorite pair are 732g over 1120g, but they aren't a factory New Beat pairing. I purchased them separately and they are unusually light. Having tried a few different New Beat pairs, and done lots of swapping around of different tops and bottoms, I decided what weights I would like and went looking.

Posted on 6 years ago

The weights seem to be a good combo. They sound awesome!

Posted on 6 years ago
Action Another action Something else here