Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 133.46973%

Vintage paiste 404 sound edge

I found a nice set of vintage 404 sound edge hats from the early 80'sat a decent price. I tried haggling with him, but he wouldn't budge.I've been a Paiste user for over 20 years now, and enjoy collecting vintage Paiste.

I already have a set of black label 505 medium hats which are very similar only slightly heavier. I researched the "unofficial" Paiste Wikipedia page and checked out the discontinued series portal, and it shows that the sound edge 404 hats are heavier in grams than their medium "cousins".

I've personally owned 404 mediums, but never owned a 404 SE, but they look like they'd be great sounding cymbals,

I also enjoy mixing with other 14" vintage Paiste hi hats that i have lying around.. The only reason i sold my 404's was because i got the 505's from fellow member drumfx, and they're almost identical to the 505 black labels, so i didn't need 2 sets of similar hi hats. I found the 404's to be great sounding, but too light for my taste, and only use my 505's for quieter gigs.

So my questions to my fellow Paiste users are : Are these 404 SE's really that much heavier ? Are there any other Paiste series SE hats that are similar in weight and sound ? I know for sure that with SE's you get a brighter, more defined chick and wash, and are usually more crisp and brighter than regular medium cymbals. From what i can tell, they may be similar to vintage 602's in terms of weight and sound ?

Thoughts ?

Cheers,

Rob

Posted on 7 years ago

I got a brown label pair of 14 SE and was really surprised by their sound. From what I've read, Paiste stopped making them because they were outselling the 2002 SE and sounded very similar.

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 7 years ago
Action Another action Something else here