Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Vintage Hardware...or not?

I would love to hear folks take on wether or not they go with vintage hardware like cymbal/hi hat stands, bass pedals etc. as a player with a vintage kit ot not.

I need to get some new cymbal stands and a bass pedal for my '66 ludwig and am unsure of going with the vintage single braced, flat based gear & a speed king or going more modern for reliabilty and strength. Although my 60's era spur lock hi hat stand has been beat up since I was a teen and still works great.

Posted on 15 years ago

I love the old hardware and use it all the time on my gigs. I play mostly acoustic jazz trio stuff, so I don't stress the stands with hard hitting. For my purposes, it works great and it's a pleasure to have less weight to haul around.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 15 years ago

I pretty much play vintage gear.

With the 60s Rogers sets I use period correct cymbal stands. They just look classy. However, I still use an Iron Cobra Hat stand, and Bass Drum pedal, as well as a DW snare stand. With the memrilock hardware Rogers...... I use DW 9000 series stands.

1983 Rogers 18-12-13-14

[IMG]http://inlinethumb11.webshots.com/20490/2851758910028342110S500x500Q85.jpg[/IMG]

1966 Rogers 20-12-14-16

[IMG]http://inlinethumb21.webshots.com/24980/2713619190028342110S500x500Q85.jpg[/IMG]

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 15 years ago

I have a bunch of mixed vintage hardware that I don't use anymore, my son has it at his studio. I have been using all dw 9000 stuff and it is getting HEAVY. I find myself taking less with me because I don't want to haul it around. I really have grown to like the look of the flat based stuff. Also I read something about the cymbals having more of a voice with the flat stands. Could be marketing bull but it came from Peter Erskine, I would hope it wouldn't be!

Good thread, I have been thinking about installing a bass shell mounted cymbal rod, arm. Any thoughts? How many of you guy's, girls use them.

Posted on 15 years ago

Hey,

I have switched to all vintage hardware. I have sold off most of my heavy duty stuff. I have a few pieces left, but will part with them when I figure out who needs them. I also have some nice snares that are not real vintage stuff and will part with them, also. I haven't found my foot pedal yet, but will eventually. In the meantime, I am still using my DW pedal. Still looking. I love the lightweight feel of them. They just feel right.

Posted on 15 years ago

I do! I do!... use all vintage hardware including shell mount cymbal holders on all my sets. Never a problem!... and as mentioned, very light to carry around... a bonus!!

Tommyp

Posted on 15 years ago

Both my 60s Rogers sets have shell mounted telescoping cymbal holders. Same with the 1980 XP8 Rogers kit I assembled with an 18-12-14ft configuration, and opted for PAT PEND swivo hardware, including the telescoping cymbal thingy. I like it that way.

The period cymbal stands are much lighter.

Posted on 15 years ago

I like the lightness aspect. I haven't played out as a drummer in a long time, but I used to always look for the guy who loved the set to help carry my hardware bag:)

The flat base stuff always looks like it might give me a problem arranging it around the other stands, but I think I might try one.

Looks like some of you guys have some pretty beefy rides on the bass mounted stands, I always worried that I might have too heavy a hand for one of those, but that is exactly where I like my ride. I would have to drill my bass to add one though....very tempting.

Posted on 15 years ago

On the 66 blue sparkle Rogers set......

that is a Paiste 2002 ........ 24" Ride.

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]I have to say, I use vintage hardware on my kits.

HOWEVER....I do realize that, in a sense, I am sacrificing something in the ergonomics/sensitivity dept as a result.

So, although I am an old coot and the vintage stuff means more to me, holistically speaking, than the "latest" in technology...I do have to admit that, at the times I step behind someone else's kit who has contemporary pedals (hi-hat, bass)...that stuff sure feels effortless to me and is easier to play; I would imagine the result would be I could try certain things as far as patterns which my older pedals just aren't responsive enuff to pull off as easily.

So...it' a tossup if you look at it that way....[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here