Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.86848%

Vintage Gretsch USA Custom Snare Shells for under $100??

OK, so I have been wanting to hear this forums take on this for a while! A few months ago I went to an ebay store that was selling Vintage Gretsch USA snare drum shells. It's strange, some shells have edges, some don't, and they are in various degrees of condition but they look legit and match the specs from the Gretsch website. I studied one shell in particular this one was a 14" x 4" shell in Silver Sparkle Nitron and every detail matched. I'll start with the fact that the interior was painted with the "Secret Silver Sealer" that Gretsch uses, the shell was drilled for 8 of the smaller mini lugs that were used on the 14" x 4" Progressive Jazz Model or currently the Stanton Moore model. The shell was also drilled for 3 vent holes this is something Gretsch does only on the USA Customs, 1 hole for the badge, and the other 2 go just below the strainer and butt for an increase in snare response. Also, the shell is drilled to receive a Nickleworks strainer and butt which happens to be the only strainer that will work with a USA Custom that has a depth of 4”! Now that’s a lot of similarities if you ask me so now the suspect stuff the shell comes with a Gretsch badge that appears to be missing one step in regards to its finishing process it has a bright gold finish to it and not the worn brass patina look of all the other badges I see from Gretsch, there also is no internal paper tag which is strange as well. Most importantly though is from the shots of the bearing edges I could clearly see the 6 ply Maple/Gum shells with the big fat plies of gum mixed in there the “Famous Gretsch Shell Formula”. So what did I do..... I bought one of course it was like $50!! and I love a good project and that’s what this turned into. I actually had 8 hole wood hoops already, I grabbed a Nicklework strainer and butt, I subbed in tube lugs because I like them, and Gretsch did use tube lugs once in a while so I felt it was ok. Finally I order Gretsch brass eyelets and installed them under the strainer and butt where the holes were and installed the badge. Everything fit per Gretsch specs I got all the info off their website ordered the parts and EVERYTHING fit like the shell was drilled for it! I finished the drum off with Puresound 20 Wire Steel snare wires which are close to the Steel German Wires Gretsch uses and put everything together. Now I don’t know if this is a “real” Gretsch USA Shell and I’d never sell it as such but I know that everything points that way and I have a very special sounding drum that I love. I’m going to post the link and name the ebay store but I’ve notice that most of the shells that had edges and just needed hardware are gone now but there may be some good fixer uppers on there and I really feel that if this is the real deal you can get a USA Custom snare running for a steal!

Link to ebay store :

http://stores.ebay.com/Gear-Guy-Guitar-Drum-Cymbal-Gear/Gretsch-Drum-Shells-/_i.html?_fsub=2509798011&_sid=576311581&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

1 attachments
Posted on 13 years ago

very nice project... great job...

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here