Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.46764%

Vintage Avedis Ziljian set, What next?

I have finnaly managed to get my cymbals up to par.

But now I am ready to put the finishing touches on the set.

I could use some help. What next?

Here is what I have so far...

Avedis Zildjian 22" medium ride (Late 60's bought it used in 1971)

Avedis Zildjian 20" medium ride (Late 60's bought it used in 1971)

Avedis Zildjian 18" medium crash 1358 grams (probably 70's)

Avedis Zildjian 16" med thin crash (I bought new 1981)

Avedis Zildjian 15" New beat Hi Hats (probably 70's)

Ludwig Paiste standard 14" Med thin crash 698 grams (I bought in 1971)

Maveltone 14" medium (I bought in 1971 and used with above as Hi-hat until I got the 15" New beats)

I would like to keep the Vintage Advedis theme and will probably sell off the last two replacing them with a 14" Avedis crash.

But after that I was thinking some splash cymbals or china.

Love to hear from you all. What next?

No amount of planning will ever replace dumb luck.
Posted on 12 years ago

Kinda hard to beat a nice 19 and 21 combination for versatility. There's just something about those odd numbers. The 19 is the magical one ... could be the 'prime' size thing, but who knows. Very very nice cymbals.

I think it may have something to do with the classic 18/20 standardization. The 19 is slightly larger than the 18 which allows it to have very similar feel, but with just that little bit of extra something ... it goes to 11. Same goes for the 21. Just a great combination.

What Would You Do
Posted on 12 years ago

great analogy roger as it makes a great combo highly sought after as the market is flooded with 18 and 20 A.s

April 2nd 1969 scarfed pink champagne holly wood and 65/66 downbeat snare, and , supra same year very minty kit old pies
66/67 downbeat with canister
Super 400 small round knob
1967 super classic obp

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family.
Posted on 12 years ago

So you guys want me to get a 19" or 21" Avedis Zildjian?

I already have two rides and my 22" is great.

How about a 17" Zildjian China K?

Posted on 12 years ago

u can alway use a china

April 2nd 1969 scarfed pink champagne holly wood and 65/66 downbeat snare, and , supra same year very minty kit old pies
66/67 downbeat with canister
Super 400 small round knob
1967 super classic obp

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family.
Posted on 12 years ago

From Allen Bamm

I have finnaly managed to get my cymbals up to par.But now I am ready to put the finishing touches on the set.I could use some help. What next?Here is what I have so far...Avedis Zildjian 22" medium ride (Late 60's bought it used in 1971)Avedis Zildjian 20" medium ride (Late 60's bought it used in 1971)Avedis Zildjian 18" medium crash 1358 grams (probably 70's)Avedis Zildjian 16" med thin crash (I bought new 1981)Avedis Zildjian 15" New beat Hi Hats (probably 70's)Ludwig Paiste standard 14" Med thin crash 698 grams (I bought in 1971)Maveltone 14" medium (I bought in 1971 and used with above as Hi-hat until I got the 15" New beats)I would like to keep the Vintage Advedis theme and will probably sell off the last two replacing them with a 14" Avedis crash.But after that I was thinking some splash cymbals or china. Love to hear from you all. What next?

Well, as someone suggested, there is a china. But how about 13" or 14" hats for more versatility? or, an 8" or 10" splash, A three rivet 19" Armand ride (not quite vintage), or perhaps an 18" thin crash.

Mark
BosLover
Posted on 12 years ago

10" or 12" splash could work but hard to find vintage.

Saw a 16" Zildjian oriental china but i don't know anything about the orientals.

Posted on 12 years ago

From Allen Bamm

10" or 12" splash could work but hard to find vintage.Saw a 16" Zildjian oriental china but i don't know anything about the orientals.

Difficult I know, but not impossible. I have a a 12" thin Trans stamp which I believe is mid-forties. While I haven't personally seen other like it, smaller thin cymbals were used a lot in the 30's and 40's, especially in the pre-ride cymbal days. They can't all have been lost.

Mark
BosLover
Posted on 12 years ago

From Allen Bamm

I would like to keep the Vintage Advedis theme and will probably sell off the last two replacing them with a 14" Avedis crash.But after that I was thinking some splash cymbals or china.

A 14" crash, while not "technically" a splash cymbal, has always seemed splash-like to me. I have never owned one that I've considered a full-blown crash. More like a novelty cymbal. I'm definitely on board with the 19" and 21" comments. I have some 19" cymbals that are just freaking amazing! And, my 50s 21" ride is like heaven bronzed...

1970 Ludwig Downbeat
1965 Ludwig Hollywood
1970 Ludwig Jazzette
Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here