Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Vintage advice

Hello All, First let me say that this site is great, and is a wonderful source of knowledge and experience. I am thinking about buying a vintage Ludwig kit. Preferably 60's w/keystone badge but definitely a 3 ply. Would it be cheaper and worth my while to have some patience and put the kit together piece by piece? Or just buy a full set. The set would be a player, and I am not really partial to any wrap color. If I did piece it together what are the most common wraps of the era (60's early 70's). I would imagine it would be easier to find drums in the more common wraps. Any help or advice is appreciated.

Posted on 16 years ago

If I were looking... I'd look for a complete or nearly complete set (maybe a kit with a missing snare). Snares are pretty easy to find, Acro's, Supra's, etc...

As for common colors/wraps, red, blue, silver or gold sparkle. Black oyster/diamond pearl, thanks to Ringo, white marine pearl, etc...

Have a look here

Vintage Snares Vintage Kits
Posted on 16 years ago

For vintage 3-ply Ludwigs, I would say that blue sparkle is the most ubiquitous wrap color.

I, too, recommend a matched kit....because they will increase in value. But, if you're not concerned about that, then I would think it would be fairly easy to piece a nice set together from rogue drums. Keep in mind, if you use an online auction service such as EBay, then you will be adding S/H charges onto the overall price...For example:

This is the most common vintage Ludwig set -the "Super Classic" ...

13" blue sparkle tom-tom = $200.00-$300.00 + S/H

16" blue sparkle floor tom = $200.00-$300.00 + S/H

22" blue sparkle bass drum = $200.00-$300.00 + S/H

5" X 14" blue sparkle *Jazz Festival snare = $300.00-$500.00^ + S/H...*=normally, A Supra would be the snare, but you specified 3-ply drums.

Depending on how "Ludwig" you want to go, you could end up sending a LOT more to piece together a kit. I like to buy matched kits -but that's a personal preference thing.

By the way, I have a 70's B/O badge blue sparkle Super Classic kit and all the appropriate hardware (sans the throne -which I WILL get one day!). It took me forever to put it all together with drums that I considered to be great deals (drums in near mint condition for an exceptionally low price). This kit is so cherry, it even has a full set of "dB" series drumheads! You can't get closer to the real vintage Ludwig sound than this kit can convey!

So.... Was it worth it?

Well...Yes and No. I ended up spending so much money to get the pieces and then pay to have them shipped, I really doubt that I could sell it for what I have invested in it! I'd have to add it all up, but it was a LOT! However, I don't want to sell it, because it's like a "time machine" in both the sense that it's for keeping time...but also in the sense that the sound of it transports me to another era. That really doesn't have a price!

But, that was one of my first vintage drum projects and it was a cool experience.

If condition isn't an issue for you, then it should be fairly easy to put something together that will give you the 3-ply sound you are seeking.

Good luck!Welcome

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 16 years ago

Thanks for the advice guys. The only reason that I am thinking about piecing a set together is..... - mortgage payment, 2 car payments, wife & 3 kids, gas prices = Minimal spending money!! I seem to have enough funny money hanging around to buy individual pieces here and there but couldn't get away with dropping a grand at once. I think the wife would blow a gasket if I did that. I already have a couple of snares including 2 supras, an Acro, a Slingerland Sound King and a Mapex Maple snare so I am all set there. I will keep my eyes peeled to Craigslist and Ebay. Are there any other auction sites that would have any vintage drums? There was a Ludwig Club Date in Red Sparkle, w/matching snare on Boston Craigslist last week for $350. Called the guy and he had just sold it. Guess what... It is back on Craigslist this week for $900.

Posted on 16 years ago

I would argue to piece together a set if you really want to save $$. I just finished putting together a gold sparkle Ludwig kit. I bought all the drums on Ebay and it only set me back $350 with shipping.

8x12 = $145

12x15 = $100 (...and it wasn't a snare!)

14x22 = $100 (WFL)

It sounds great and the gold sparkle matches great. All it needed was some heads. True, it will NOT go up a lot in value, but it looks AND sounds great.

Craig's List is good, but you have to be fast and lucky...I prefer ebay.

...my 2 cents.

Posted on 16 years ago

how long did it take you to piece together the set?

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here