Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 133.26931%

Vintage 16" K custom ride??

Hi all,

I wanted to ask you fellow experts if you ever heard of a 16" K custom ride that Zildjian made back in the days?

I happened to find such, and it sounds as a great ride, but also, due to its very small size, its a great crash too.

I am aware that Zildjian sold the K custom rides in 18", 20" and 22" - but I never saw a 16" sized cymbal...

Is it a rare piece? I saw only one on E-bay (that's the one I bought actually) - but that's the only time I saw it...

Moreover, looking online,, I didn't see any info about that - that's why I shared that with you...

I attached some pictures of that one - all the ink marks are gone, but its clear by the unlathed looks and the hammering patterns that its a small K custom...

Thanks in advanced,

Any info will be welcomed here,

Thanks,

Tom

Posted on 9 years ago

How do you know it is a ride? It may work really well as such but maybe it was originally sold as a crash. Just a thought.

John

Posted on 9 years ago

Very cool! The K Customs weren't called "ride" or "crash" in the beginning, and I seem to remember that at some point they offered 16", 18" 20" and 22" (1990/91 catalog?). Hadn't seen one before. I remember trying an 18" in a shop in the early 90s. Still have 22" I got around that time.

Posted on 9 years ago

Thanks a lot for the replies.

In the meantime, I was able to get a hold of a Zildjian customer service person who confirmed that:

"

Since 1987, when the K custom line was introduced in the K line, it offered 16", 18" and 20" rides, and one year later, they added the 22" as well.

The 16" was not so popular, and didn't sell that much, so after a few years, they discontinued it.

"

+ Multijd - to your question, this 16" K custom was meant to be sold as a ride - even though it can crash very well :-)

+ SebCo - I still own the 20" K custom from the late 80's which still sounds amazing - It was my 1st pro Zildjian ride, and even though I added a few more Zildjian rides to my 'quiver', this is my "go to" ride - Now with the 16", I can add a K custom 'flavor' in a smaller crash/ride even when gigging without my 20" K custom :-)

Thanks again,

Tom

Posted on 9 years ago

Interesting....

Cobalt Blue Yamaha Recording Custom 20b-22b-8-10-12-13-15-16f-18f
Red Ripple '70's Yamaha D-20 20b-12-14f
Piano Black Yamaha Recording Custom Be-Bop kit 18b-10-14f
Snares:
Yamaha COS SDM5; Yamaha Cobalt Blue RC 5-1/2x14; Gretsch round badge WMP; 1972 Ludwig Acrolite; 1978 Ludwig Super Sensitive; Cobalt Blue one-off Montineri; Yamaha Musashi 6.5X13 Oak; cheap 3.5X13 brass piccolo
Posted on 9 years ago
Action Another action Something else here