Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.86848%

very old cymbals...what are they?

hi. i have a question on these cymbals. my friend got these with a bunch of other stuff.

the one that looks like a china is not a china, they're all crashes. one says "kingston", 2 say "made in japan", the rest say nothing.

i'm guessing these are 20's / 30's cymbals. maybe something you would see on early trap kits.

i know they're nothing rare or probibly of great value as they shound like crap.

but we would both like to know if they're worth anything and age. thanks.

1 attachments
http://www.drummerfish.weebly.com for drum parts, drum promos , swag, promo media and more for sale
Posted on 11 years ago

I have a large pile of these cymbals that I picked up over the years because they came in boxes of parts or attached to some orphan drums. They are very trashy & could possibly be used as a special effects cymbal. I know some drummers playing 1920's corny jazz like them. But I wouldn't pay a nickel for one.

(they do make good incense burners)

Posted on 11 years ago

As hard as I am on most stencil drums(?), they were the shining stars in those kits, compared to the cymbals and hardware that complemented them--------the likes of which you have a little collection of there. They might look 1930's but they were brand new and shiny ,on the catalogue pages as recently as the 70's. It was a novel idea for it's time; self-hammered cymbals ! For only a few bucks , you could get a spun brass cymbal blank, complete with stand and then pound it into any shape you wanted( usually didn't want) with drumsticks( only one pair supplied). The idea was briefly popular but didn't catch on and we eventually went back to cymbals already factory hammered------but there are still some stubborn adherents out there who like them.

Posted on 11 years ago

From calfskin

As hard as I am on most stencil drums(?), they were the shining stars in those kits, compared to the cymbals and hardware that complemented them--------the likes of which you have a little collection of there. They might look 1930's but they were brand new and shiny ,on the catalogue pages as recently as the 70's. It was a novel idea for it's time; self-hammered cymbals ! For only a few bucks , you could get a spun brass cymbal blank, complete with stand and then pound it into any shape you wanted( usually didn't want) with drumsticks( only one pair supplied). The idea was briefly popular but didn't catch on and we eventually went back to cymbals already factory hammered------but there are still some stubborn adherents out there who like them.

Ya know - I have read this comment before - and completely thought you were totally serious! Cymbals that you hammer at home! REALLY?? What a clever marketing idea!

(Several days later) I read this again and realize you are completely kidding - as they get all dented up (at home) as if it was 'hammered' there!

BTW - these cymbals are very much sought and used by many jazz guys. They eat 'em up. I am one of those guys (though not exclusively a jazz player). I even have a video on them (search for MIJ Ride cymbals) The more preferred ones are the 22s. I used one the other night on a classy gig and it fit in SO well with my clean/glassy/classy Paiste line up (though used some New Beat HHs). The fact that (the 22s) are 22s give them a bigger cymbal-type, lower tone that just has class written all over it.

What sizes are these cymbals?

John

I had a great day! Instead of sleeping in and wasting the day, I got up at 8 and I had all my slacking done by noon!

2Timothy1:7
Posted on 11 years ago

Do they have any lathing at all? (they look smooth as a baby's butt!)

John

I had a great day! Instead of sleeping in and wasting the day, I got up at 8 and I had all my slacking done by noon!

2Timothy1:7
Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here