Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.26722%

Value of early first run 1970's Sabian Cymbals?

I have acquired some early vintage Sabian cymbals, from the era when they started up after the split up from Zildjian. The cymbals look like my 1970's Avedis Zildjian's and say "Made In Canada" on them. The markings are solid black letters. My question is this, what are the value of these cymbals in good condition, as in no cracks, keyholes or visible damage? I have played them and they sound very similar to my A. Zildjians.

When did Sabian start making the B20 and B8 lines? These newer lines do not look at all like the old versions.

Barry (mono-plane)
UPBEAT - Drums For Kids (on Facebook)
71 Black Cortex 22, 14 *wtd 16" ft*
61 Ludwig Super Downbeat 20, 16, 13 w/matching Jazz Festival (Black & Gold Duco)
63 Ludwig Clubdate Blue Sparkle 20, 14, 12 (WTB a nice 12" Blue Sparkle tom)
79 Black Beauty SS 6.5 x 14 (one previous owner players or studio drum) 4 sale
80 Black Beauty Supra 6.5 x 14 (4 sale)
Posted on 13 years ago

[COLOR="Green"]I believe we are talking 1980, not '70's. I have a bunch of these and you are correct, they really look almost identical to the A. Zildjians of the time.

They actually don't fetch much...for whatever reason, they haven't acquired much of a "collectible" reputation. Maybe 15%-20% over what a contemporary AA would sell for....

I like 'em, they are solid. Not spectacular, but solid and kinda cool from a historical perspective.[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 13 years ago

From Jaye

[COLOR="Green"]I believe we are talking 1980, not '70's. I have a bunch of these and you are correct, they really look almost identical to the A. Zildjians of the time.They actually don't fetch much...for whatever reason, they haven't acquired much of a "collectible" reputation. Maybe 15%-20% over what a contemporary AA would sell for....I like 'em, they are solid. Not spectacular, but solid and kinda cool from a historical perspective.[/COLOR]

Hey Jaye, you're correct, Sabian started in 1981, so my time line was off. I know that they used the existing K Zildjian plant at that time, in New Brunswick to start manufacturing. I like their thinner cymbals from this early era and have a nice set up that was bought all together back in the day. I have virtually the same A. Zildjians that I bought new in the fall of 1979, with the difference being one crash is 17" (Zildjian) vs an 18" crash (Sabian).

The reason that I'm curious about the value is that I have not owned older Sabian cymbals in the past and nothing from their current line-up.

Barry (mono-plane)
UPBEAT - Drums For Kids (on Facebook)
71 Black Cortex 22, 14 *wtd 16" ft*
61 Ludwig Super Downbeat 20, 16, 13 w/matching Jazz Festival (Black & Gold Duco)
63 Ludwig Clubdate Blue Sparkle 20, 14, 12 (WTB a nice 12" Blue Sparkle tom)
79 Black Beauty SS 6.5 x 14 (one previous owner players or studio drum) 4 sale
80 Black Beauty Supra 6.5 x 14 (4 sale)
Posted on 13 years ago

Sabians aren't very collectible.......yet.......so the value is rather low right now. But...you never know what the future may bring....

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here