Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 133.46973%

UV Inhibitors for drums?

Anyone have a "go to" product for protecting/waxing their drums with UV protection?

I know a lot of guys use old fashioned car wax on their drums, both for lacquers and wraps. The newer synthetic spray waxes, like Turtle Wax "Ice" work great on cars, and you just spray, wipe and buff, much like Novus #1 on drums. A lot of these have UV inhibitors as well.

Has anyone tried any tricks to block UV rays to exposed, set-up drums (other than the obvious "keep them in cases" or "put a sheet over them")? I would think that the spray synthetic waxes like "Ice" would be safe, because it says you can even use it on non-painted car surfaces, like plastic trim, molding, and even windows and mirrors.

What say you?

Thanks,

V

Posted on 12 years ago

Sun protection baby skin cream Factor 50 Cool1

If you mean "exposed" that your drums are under heavy sunlight exposure in room then put drapes on the windows. BTW Darkness is cool ;)

Some UV rays are already absorbed by glass.

And I think the same: car wax works the best.

If you really want to keep your drums in factory condition, maybe it's crazy, but why not to overwrap them with sicskinz?

---------------------
In case of deal with johnnyringo:
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/show...80&postcount=1
Posted on 12 years ago

Thanks. The drums are set up in my basement, which receives a fair amount of light, but not "heavy light". There are 4 glass block windows, and that is the only natural light that comes in. Each window is fairly small, about 30" Wide and 18" tall, just a few inches above ground level on the outside, which means the tops of the windows meet the basement ceiling on the inside. The bottom of the windows are about neck high. Two of the four windows are on the west side of the house, so they get the most sun in the evening.

Does anyone know if glass block inhibits or magnifies UV rays? I do get a nice rainbow/prism effect all over when direct sun hits the windows.

Posted on 12 years ago

Hang a shade in the window or you can also tint the windows with stick on tint transfers. If you feel the sunlight is a problem you can block some of the light getting in. My drums are in the basement which is refinished. Still the basement floor is 5' underground so it's a pretty nice climate for them. 4 windows and a curtain hung in each wnidow to help with light. Even if all the curtains are open there's no direct sun on the kit. Interesting topic with the UV protection. I use a Stewart MacDonald restoration polish which is very much like the Novus 1 a detail spray and polish. And have been wanting to use the car wax I have. I use Mothers car care products and the carnuba cleaner and wax is excellent. I have a 3 part cleaner-wax system as well. Think I own almost every Mothers product LOL.

Has anyone tried a claybar with the detail spray on a wrapped finish drum to clean it? I wondered if that might help with the grime and smokey residues? Works great on the car. ;)

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here